Can i get your opinions on this 50's LP Special?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by laurencer83, Jul 25, 2005.

1. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

hi. i was wondering if you guys could take a look at this link and tell me what you think about this guitar ?
    http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=818748

it's a 56 lp special that has been stripped of its finish. it used to be tv yellow but now is natural. besides that the main issue is that the serial number is gone. the pots and truss rod have been changed. and the pickup selector was damaged, i think he said it was dropped on the ground with the pickup selector hitting the ground first.

i've always wanted an old 50's lp special. i'm not a collector so it doesn't need to be completely original. if i do get it i'd like to refinish it in tv yellow if i can find a good guy to do it. i don't want the refinish to mess up the sound at all.

but i wanted to know if you guys think this dealer is asking too much or if the price is right? considering the fact that original tv yellow lp specials are going upward to $7500 i don't think i'd ever be able to realistically aford one. so i'm thinking this maybe my chance to get one. and when i get some extra cash i can get it refinish.

he played it for me over the phone through a deluxe reverb(64'). of course the phone isn't the best way to listen to a guitar but i still could get the vibe of it. it sounded great. i just wanted to make sure it's an orignal 50's special and that the price is an ok asking price.

also do any of you guys know if these old specials had the bumblebee caps or were those just in the jr's? because i have a pair of bumblebee caps and may replace the non-original caps in this special if i decide to get it. thanks for your help.

2. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

That is WAY too much for a Special with that many issues. Something else to think about, if those are the original pups, is that they often don't do high gain well(unless they were potted at some point). You'd be better off looking at the recent Historic re-issues.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Aside from the nostalgia, they were not good guitars.

4. matte

matte Senior Member

Why?

5. matte

matte Senior Member

That has not been my experience.

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Your opinion only, and not the opinion of many. I have two "Holy grail" late 50's PAF equipped guitars, and a mid 50's strat, and my 57 special can hang with any of them.

7. matte

matte Senior Member

8. matte

matte Senior Member

9. e-z

e-z Member

I have a '60 LP Special that is a great guitar.

10. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Great guitars, too much money for one that is this messed up. I'm all about a beater for the right price. I think you could find something similar on ebay for less if you are patient.

11. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I don't think the market has gone up for those particular guitars so I agree, it's way too much for a player that's never gonna' be a collector.

I had one for a while that had more issues (reglued Headstock, replaced tuners and a body chunk gouged out but original electronics)and it was a great player but when it went down the road, it went for cheap. Luckily I also bought it for cheap - like $500.

I don't remember trying really high gain stuff with it but those P90's did great Sunshine Of Your Love and White Room fatness when wound up through a Marshall.

12. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

The only thing that really bothers me about that guitar is the pickup selector thing; looks kinda ugly in the photo, and gouged wood is never good. Otherwise, no cracks, original pups; without the selector issue, it would be an excellent deal.

I've bought stuff from Neal before. He's a good guy. Try to knock him down a few hundred. For under $3k, I could live with it.

/rick

13. matte

matte Senior Member

Would be a great candidate for a conversion.

14. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I can't see that flying off of the guys wall, take your time go to a show if one is near you, keep searching, you'll find what you're looking for.

15. 57special

If you mean for an accurate burst, the body is too thin, i believe.

16. matte

matte Senior Member

Are they 1&5/8"?

17. 57special

They are 1 3/4, but the slightly rounded edge on the top makes the binding go down an 1/8th or so to cover it, making it about 1 5/8. Actually, i better go measure things up to make sure i'm not completely full of it, but i recall noticing that detail in the past, when evil thoughts came to mind re a hacked 50's Special. I've never measured a real burst, but i believe a full 1 3/4 of mahogany shows .

18. matte

matte Senior Member

A thin slice of Mahogany could be laminated between the Maple and the slab. The binding would hide it.

19. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

****IN' RIGHT!
    Danny Johnson w/ Derringer!
    I freakin' loved that **** - Danny in particular.
    Awesome, Matte...

20. 57special

The only Lp i've got now is an early 70's , so it might not be a good yardstick. It measures 1 3/4" depth BELOW the bottom edge of the binding (well it actually measures 1 5/8" in another part, but it is a 70's LP) and my Clinic Replica and 81 Tokai both measured 1 3/4" BELOW the bottom edge of the binding. So a LP could be slightly planed down to eliminate the rounded top edge, and a thin slice of veneer put on top, but the binding would still have to go down to cover the end grain, making the distance below the binding less than 1 3/4.
    Again, i've not measured a 50's LP, so perhaps they are also not exact in their dimensions, but a real LP freak would be disturbed by that loss of 1/8 or an inch.
    Having said all that, it is a good idea for a great playing and sounding axe, though i could argue that a LP Special all by itself is good enough.