Can I get your thoughts on a Reverb transaction?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sedawkgrep, Aug 9, 2019.

1. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

I realize this forum isn't for Reverb complaints (though sometimes it seems that way!) but many of us do a lot of transactions through them.

I just received a classical guitar tonight. Hand-built guitars by unknown luthiers are a TOTAL crapshoot when buying online. But for the price, I was willing to give it a shot. Guitar is 1995 and has some scratches and wear as it should.

Guitar came shipped in basically a wrapping of cardboard over a wrapping of large bubble wrap. That is to say, it wasn't in a proper box - it was some kind of makeshift box taped together out of parts of other boxes. The guitar was wrapped in 2-3 layers of that large bubble-wrap stuff. To try to alleviate the neck bouncing around there were a couple small boxes placed on either side of it, loosely.

Personally, I wouldn't ship a $100 Applause junker in a "box" like this. The fact that someone used this for a hand-built classical just blows my mind.

To make matters worse, the "box" was all beat up. Looks like it'd been through hell before it got here. AND...the guitar appears to have been impacted on the lower bout where the two side pieces are joined. There are a couple cracks there and it looks like it was hit kinda hard. Otherwise the guitar is in reasonable condition given its age, etc.

I'm leaning towards sending it back. I can't see into the chamber enough to tell if there's visible damage there, but that is the intersection between the top, both sides, and the back, and having structural problems there might be difficult or impossible to repair.

I've emailed the seller the situation and that I am probably going to ask for refund. I have photos of the "box" and the guitar as I was unwrapping it.

Anybody been through something like this? How'd you handle it? Did you return the item?

Thanks...

edit2 - ALSO how do you handle feedback on something like this? I haven't left any yet, if I had no options to return I would give him only one star out of five I guess. But if the return goes smoothly? 5? 3?

edit: some photos for y'all.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Gig Young likes this.
  2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

You already know what to do...send it back.

3. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I’ve had some gear show up and I was amazed at how well it was packed and once and a while I’m thinking WTF? Seriously?

Regardless, send it back if you aren’t willing to accept it’s condition.

4. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

It’s pretty common to have to piece boxes together to ship items of unusual sizes, like guitars. The packing job is so so by the sounds of it, but it also sounds like it would have still been damaged even if it were shipped in a normal guitar box. 3 layers of the big bubble wrap for a guitar like that is pretty heavy fortification though, I’ll give the seller credit for that.

As for you wanting a refund, the best way to get the most money is to return the guitar and get all of your money back.

It sounds like you want to keep it and ask for free money—personally if you want to keep it, just keep it. You can file a shipping claim if you need to have it repaired. I think the damage is actually due to shipping and not packing. Like I said, if it took that hard of a hit like you say it did, a normal guitar box wouldn’t have protected it any better.

EDIT: having seen pictures, that actually was not a terrible packing job. It’s ugly, but that guitar was pretty well fortified and carefully bubble wrapped. I think the seller did their part and shipper damaged. That said, if you truly, genuinely aren’t happy and do not want the guitar, do the correct thing and return. If you’re okay with the guitar, don’t ask for free money and keep something you would’ve kept anyways.

chrisjw5, ljs, skydog and 2 others like this.
  5. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

6. sedawkgrep

The damaged area (bottom) looks like it only had about one layer of bubble wrap, and was only thinly protected by the box. Have a look at the photos if you're curious.

I am really not looking to weasel extra money from the seller here. But I also face a bit of a puzzle on how to pack and ship this thing back. Like obviously I have to protect it better than the seller did, right? Or should I wrap it in bubble wrap and then put it in a trashbag with a label? j/k on that part.

7. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Gotcha. So I think you have enough material there to pack it back up and return in a thoughtful way. If you need to pad out that bottom area a bit more, there’s plenty of stuff around the house you can use that will work fine. If not, a quick trip to the grocery store for some of their heavy paper grocery bags would be worth it. Those are great for packing.

8. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

That’s terrible. Have bought and shipped many guitars and never seen anything like that. Can’t believe the shipping company accepted it.

9. sedawkgrep

Just got a reply from the seller. He’s willing to do return / refund.

How should I handle feedback?

10. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

You don't have the option to leave feedback when an item is returned.

derekd and sedawkgrep like this.
  11. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

The packaging looks adequate but unattractive. You should see some
    of the packages I have recd over the years.

As stated one post above, you cant leave feedback on a return.

Once he refunds, the feedback and/or ability to leave feedback are
    disengaged.

But why would you want to leave anything but good feedback
    on an item where the person has allowed a no hassle return?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. sedawkgrep

You can’t possibly be serious.

If ANYTHING heavy would’ve hit the guitar on its top or back, it would’ve broken it. Like literally crushed the top or the back. Like if a clumsy UPS guy fell on his ass and landed on it. That’s it - game over.

Under no circumstances could you say that’s adequate. That’s not adequate for storing at home in the closet IMO.

13. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

Send it back. You'd have to do a better job packing it up though to get your refund. What does Reverb say? You need Reverb's advice on this. If you shipped it back the way it was packed and delivered to you and it arrived damaged could the seller refuse to refund you because it was "improperly packed"? It was improperly packed to begin with!

Reverb has to get your back in this.

14. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

If you are looking for a good decently priced classical guitar check out the Pavan TP-20. There has been a used one for sale asking for $600 on UMGF since Jan 2019.

15. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

DO NOT give feedback until you get your refund!

What make and model guitar is it? Looking at used classical guitars from that year on reverb lots go for $1500 plus.

16. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Seller is taking care of you. This should not be a question.

HTSMetal and Rocco Crocco like this.
  17. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Remind me to show a pic of a new Martin guitar shipping box that I have. There’s actually very little top/back protection. No more than this seller’s shipping box. It’s ugly as hell for sure and bottom could’ve been padded better, but there’s nothing egregious about his shipping job. I’ve got some horror stories for perspective.

Also, a little dramatic with the closet comment. Classic TGP eyeroller and a nice laugh to start my morning.

Pick'n'strum likes this.
  18. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

I know you're disappointed with the packing job, but IMO it'd be FUBAR to ding a seller with negative feedback after you were issued a refund.

the_Chris and sedawkgrep like this.
  19. sedawkgrep

You are aware there is no case, right?

I guess we’ll have to just agree to disagree on this.

20. sedawkgrep

Well ...

It is going to cost me time and money to ship it back. Easily avoided if this would’ve been properly packed to begin with.

Also, if this is how he packs things, buyers might want to be aware.

Regardless it’s a moot point - posters have said that you cannot leave feedback on returns.