Can I increase resistance of pot?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Rick1114, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I have a 10k pot I used to add a mid control to my VC (originally 15k resistor) as a temporary measure to see if there is a "sweet spot". Can I add a resistor in series so the sweep goes from 5k-15k? I think would be a more usable range for me. I'm learning a lot about all of this, but still lack practical knowledge. Can any explain if this is possible, and how the resistor should be wired to achieve the effect I'm looking for?

Any help would be appreciated!

Best regards,

Rick

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Yes a 5k resistor in series will do that.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    +1. Add the 5K between the pot's ground connect, and the pot.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I'm not sure what a VC is but.... you could put 2.5kΩ on both sides of the pot too if the sweet spot it dead centre. This used to be typical on radios with Voltage Controlled Oscillators.

5. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

In general no, because it heavily restricts adjustment range, as in it can never go to 0 ... but in your very particular range, where you already know that 0/5k does not cut it, no big deal.

FWIW i have already used 25k and .... gasp!!!!! even 100k log pots for such tests.

Not as bad as it looks because a 100k Log/Audio pot is actually 0/10k halfway and 10k/100k all the way, so it ends up being surprisingly useful.

Try it.

6. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I soldered the resistor and it works, but the sweep in in the wrong direction. I'll have to play with it little more tonight....

I'll prob go with 25K pot as I'm finding you get some cooler sounds with mids dimed than totally cut. All in All a fun little experiment.

Thanks,

Rick

7. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

I cant Increase my resistance TO pot.