Can I install a LED in my Red Witch Phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by estringwalker, Jul 9, 2006.

1. estringwalker

estringwalker Supporting Member

I have the regular moon phaser and I really need the LED. Could this be somthing that I can do relativily easy?
    Thanks for the Help!

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You could put in in a single bypass loop box that has an LED an leave the phaser on all of the time.

3. estringwalker

Yea thats kind of a last resort.... it would be cool to be able to do my very first mod!

4. basscracker

basscracker Guest

if you've never tried soldering before,don't start out on a $200.00 pedal.

5. estringwalker

Yea, I have soldered before ( pickups and pots ect.) but Ive never opened up a pedal and went to work on it. I just need some good instructions and from there I can decide if its to hard for me or not.

6. rewog

rewog Member

7. estringwalker

That has some good tips, Thanks!

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think you would have to more than soldering, you'd have to drill through the enclosure neatly to house the LED in addition to attaching it to the wiring to give it power (since it's not the only difference between the standard and deluxe model design, it might affect the sound or operation if you attach the LED to the standard phaser's circuit)... not an expert, just saying you might want to research it first, as the Moon Phaser is a great pedal and it would be pretty sad if it got messed up...

9. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

First things first. You need to determine what type of switch is in there. I assume it's already tru bypass so the question is, is there a 2pdt switch or 3pdt.

If it is a 2pdt, you can use RG keens melinium bypass www.geofx.com which requires some extra parts and some perf board to mount it on ,or order a 3pdt switch from an online supplier.

You will have to tap into the power supply and ground either way you go. since I don't know the layout of the on this pedal, I'm not sure how difficult this would be to do without damaging the circuit.

There was a previous post about drilling too. This is tricky on an already painted box. It could damage the box chipping off more paint than you would like.

Scott

10. estringwalker

geofex is VERY usefull...Thanks

11. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

it all depends on the switch.

if the red witch has a DPDT stompswitch, then it would be extremely easy. it all depends on the switch, and how it's wired. have any pictures of the inside of your red witch?

anyway, if it was a DPDT, it would be wired one of two ways for true bypass. adding an LED isn't too hard. i drew a diagram on paint. i guessed on the layout.

[​IMG]

anyway, it's probably wired one of those two ways, and probably the first way, since this grounds the unused signal. if that's the case, follow the third picture.

get a 3pdt. wire the right six lugs like the DPDT was wired, except for the bottom middle lug (lug 8).

now jumper lug 7 and 8.

ok, now, you need to split your power supply. you can have two wired come out of the dc jack eyelet, that's ok. don't forget to add a resistor of value 4.7k. then that goes to the LED. remember LED's are polarized so make sure you wire it the right way. have the other lead from the LED go to lug 1 (top left) of your 3PDT. now, simply wire the left middle lug (lug 4) to the sleeve (ground).

that should about do 'er. and, yeah there'll be drilling.

12. estringwalker

Its definitly a 3pdt switch but it has a like a circut board mounted on top of it covering all the lugs.

Nice diagram by the way!

13. Mojo Tele

Mojo Tele Member

I get this disturbing picture of a drill bit wandering all over the highly polished casing of your RedWitch pedal...:eek:

Closely followed by a piture of you talking to the local music shop tech saying something like "It used to work when I pushed the stomp switch, it all seemed so easy? . ... I don't understand what happened.":messedup

14. estringwalker

I was going to put the light on the bottom so if It gets ugly you wont see it ;)

15. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

you could avoid this by drilling from the back. that way if the drill wanders you wont' see the marks of it.

are the lugs mounted to the circuit board, or is the switch just covered by the circuit board. if that is the case, you can usually remove the circuit board so that the switch is exposed.

16. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Just curious, why do you NEED the LED?

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You'll mess up the signature! Just kidding... best of luck whichever way you go..

Won't it be hard to see the LED if it's on the bottom?

18. basscracker

basscracker Guest

i was just trying to add a humbucker :eek::crazy:NUTS:messedup

[​IMG]

19. estringwalker

The circuit board is attached to the switch. This really does look like somthing I shouldnt F around with yet. Im going to try to install a LED and a 3dpt switch in an old crybaby and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the help!

20. meterman

meterman Member

From what I remember the inside of my Deluxe Red Witch is very crowded and very complex. I sure wouldn't touch mine, no way in hell and I've built pedals from kits no problem. Of course mine already has the LED....

My suggestion is sell it and get the Deluxe, or another phaser with an LED. Or build the scripty Phase90 clone from BYOC, that's what I ended up doing, $65 and it sounds great (and has an LED)