Can I just get some opinions on the Hayseed without starting a war?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kborg, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

After suffering through the whole AC30 thread:messedup I'm almost afraid to start this one. But anyway:Devil here it goes. A few weeks or maybe a month back I was seeing all kinds of Hayseed posts and several of them for sale here for a while and now......nothing. It was sounding like a reasonably priced, highly endorsed PTP Vox style amp, which is what I am looking for.

:confused: What's the story? Can I hear from current owners? Are you just in love with them and not talking anymore or what? Also it seems as though it was in a constant state of revision. Not a good or bad thing to me, just an observation. What is the set up for the current incarnation and if I were looking at used what are the differences?

Could an owner give me a detailed description of the amp as far as controls, does it have separate channels a 12ax7 and an ef86? The web site seems lacking in spec details or I just didn't see them if they were there. Front and back panel pics would be fantastic. I was hoping to see some used ones for sale again.

Thanks

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Loved the Hayseed 30 that I had. Got it in a trade and really didn't have a need for that type of amp but it did a great vox sound.

If I were looking for a boutique ac30 amp I would at least give them a consideration.

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

my hayseed is a little different. it's a channel blender, ch1 is ef86 , ch2 is 12ax7 and they are internally jumpered. the output section on mine is a pair of cathode biased el34's. most others that i know of are el84 based. valvetechs are top notch build quality (i have 2, a vac 50 head and a hayseed custom head). they sound fantastic in live band situations and are very versatile. the ef86 option is very popular as is the half power switch. mine has a master volume for my needs but some like it without. there is a 4 month wait last time i heard. they are obviously very popular and don't come up for sale as "used" very often.

4. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

I'd like to hear opinion updates too- from users, not the opposition. I've got a hayseed head coming my way in the next couple months. i'm curious as to how often people use the half-power switch and master volume. any advice or opinions? any favorite settings or pedal combinations?

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Just got a Hayseed 15 1x12 combo with the ef86 option. I'm using an a/b footswitch to alternate between the top boost channel and the bypass (aka normal) channel which is set on the ef86 brilliant setting. It sounds awesome. I'm surprised at how loud it is. The mastervolume works nicely although I don't have it any lower than 60%. The ef86 brilliant mode of the normal channel provides some nice low to medium gain crunch and it loves being nailed by a boost, od, or distortion (sho, liquid sunshine, catalinbread scod). I'm very happy with this purchase.

It doesn't have reverb, and IMO it doesn't need it at all. It's a much better fit for my taste than my Z28 (nice amp, sold it though) or Mesa Blue Angel (now a backup or a stereo option). I'm a bit of an effects freak but this is probably the first amp I've had where I could be happy without any pedals in front of it.

If you get one, by god, get the EF86 option. It sounds great.

taco

ps. tele's rule with this. I'm gassing for a Gretsch Duojet now.

6. Mark C

Mark C Member

I have a Hayseed 30 2x12 combo with the EF86. I love it - does everything I've ever wanted from a Vox style amp and is built like a tank. The clips on the Valvetech website are very representative of what a Hayseed sounds like when you are actually playing it.

7. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Both Yngwie & John Mayer are Hayseed endorsees aren't they?

8. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

And Santana.

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

not sure sure what updates everyone is referring to. there is a cap update for the hayseed depending on which transformer is/was ordered. other than that i think most of the valvetech "updates" are for the vac series. rob is on the "f" version now for the vac's and has a tranny filter mod for that series too. i think you have a tranny choice for the hayseed, master volume, ef86 option, reverb (depending on preamp tube choice), half power switch, etc. imho, it's best to email rob and chat about possible amp features.

10. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I bought a 2x12 with weber blues a while back. This was pre-EF86 version. I wanted vintage Vox tone after playing Proco's steller AC30. The amp was super heavy, very loud, well made, extremly complex sounding. I set the tone contraolls with my ears and not my eye's. I had it tweeked on the normal ch, and a bit more filtering on the preamp as well.

It was close, but way to much volume for me. Between the Webers super efficient Blues, and the hyboer OP tranny, it was SUPER loud. Louder then chucks by a mile.

I live close to Rob, and I KNOW he is working VERY, VERY hard to capture that Vintage tone with the current componets. I do not think he ever thought it would turn into what it has. The coolest thing he has done with the Vox isea it the EF68/12AX7 combo stuff. Great options to get Several vox tones. I plan to buy a new one very soon. Either a 1x12 with a 1x12 est cab, or a head version.

I have owned many very cool amps, and my first Hayseed was in the top 3 for complex tone. Right up there with the Proto Clubman, Comet, Carr, and Dr Z's.

If you have to have the Vox Logo, buy a AC30CC. They sound Killer as well and have a few cool options as well.

11. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

OK, I will chime in with a long-winded reply since you asked. :) To give you some background I have owned a Hayseed for about a year. Also, I'm not a Vox hater as I have owned AC30s, own a vintage AC15, and would love to try their new Brian May AC30. For my needs the Hayseed is a great amp. Basically a very good AC30 with several useful improvements. The EF86 feature alone is worth buying a Hayseed over any modern Vox. If you play a Hayseed equipped with good tubes you will see what I mean. In addition it has a half power option and you can get it with most any chassis layout or tolex / grille color with no extra charge. You also can order any speaker or transformer that you desire. It is made in the USA by a Gear Page member - some people like the idea of supporting another Forum member.

As for the shitstorm every time one of these gets mentioned, you need to do a search for "Hayseed", read the opinions, and then decide for yourself as any intelligent consumer should. You will find opinions from many Hayseed owners that love their amps, almost none that didn't like them, and one person that hates them but has never owned one. We are all entitled to an opinion obviously. You get to choose what advice to listen to and what to ignore. It is all subjective, the only thing that isn't is that as more people get the amps the waiting list has gotten longer and longer. Also, it is very seldom that you see a used one. When you do it is usually a non-EF86 version.

As for your question about how they work, You have a normal and a top boost channel. The top boost is classic Vox top boost. If you get the EF86 version your normal channel gets a 3-way switch that allows you to switch between the standard normal channel, EF86 normal, or EF86 bass channel. The amp really shines when you jumper the inputs as you can then blend whatever amount of each channel that you like.

I'm no expert. I have owned or played most every version of an AC30 other than the original AC30/4. I like most of the Korg reissues and the handwired version. I prefer my Hayseed as it is more versatile and has the EF86. The new Chinese CC sounded OK to me. I only played it at Make n Music and didn't open it up. I would never personally buy for two reasons, first they have had many problems and I wouldn't trust it in a gig situation (that's just me, sorry). Second, why buy a Chinese PCB amp when you can get a PTP, made in USA version that sounds better (again, just my experience) for basically the same price.

The Hayseed is the only piece of non-vintage gear that I currently have. My other amps include Fender, Marshall, Traynor, and Vox and the newest is 1968 (anyone want to sell me a croc. Selmer Zodiac?). I had a beautiful candy panel '63 AC30 w/ original cone blues for a long time. After owning the Hayseed a few months I ended up selling the AC30 as it didn't do anything better than the Hayseed. No, it wasn't a dud as it had the most desirable trannys (Wodens), Mullards, and was properly serviced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your best bet if you want a Hayseed is to get on the list. If you find a used one you can easily cancel your order I would think as he is so backlogged. Either way you can sell one immediately around here if you don't like it. The last thing I will say is to check out the clips on the Valvetech website. They are an excellent representation of what the amp sounds like (with a good player plugged into it anyway). :)

12. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the input so far and the positive responses. It looks as though the list may get a little longer.:drool

13. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Another happy hayseed owner here. I actually did the clips for Rob on the site, well the Hayseed clips anyway. It's a very nice amp. I've since done a ton of recording work with it and it never fails to please the ear. I think many of us have just kept quiet lately because each one of these hayseed threads gets pissed on by a certain notoriously outspoken member of this board. In fact, I sense that he will be hear soon... Gotta run!

14. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I have one w/ef86. It's a no-brainer. Versatile. Stands with any AC30 made, vintage or otherwise. Speaker choice is KEY! Worst case: you don't like it and you can sell it here for little or no loss. Can you do that with the AC30CC from Vox/Marshall/Korg? If you want an AC30, and you know what a good one sounds like, then the Hayseed deserves a shot.

15. lord preset

lord preset Member

And your speaker choice was....

16. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I do not "hate" the amp. I just think the Vox sounds a lot better.

17. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

And away we go...

18. iodine74

iodine74 Member

I'm also curious about the speaker choice. Papa Taco was saying that his Hayseed 15 is much louder than he thought it'd be over on the HC board, and thinking the efficiency of the Weber Blues is in play there.

Not knowing much about speakers, I'm curious as to what you have to say.

19. Mark C

Mark C Member

Pedro 58 is running his through a custom cab with 1 Celestion Blue and 1 Weber alnico silver bell 10" Sounds excellent. I run mine with 1 Celestion Blue and 1 Celestion G12H30. Also excellent!!! I think as long as you've got at least 1 "Blue" (Weber or Celestion) and another speaker that will mix well with it, you'll get a great sound out of the Hayseed.

20. wilder

wilder Member

I'm still very happy with mine as well. There's a reason you don't see many used ones.