Can I just replace a V30 with an EVM 12L in my mesa 2x12?

What do you guys think? I'd run my EVH 50 watt 5153 or my 5 watt Backstar HT-5RH with it. Some questions:

- How would the combo of speakers sound?
- Any risks running them together? (OHMs/wiring?)
- Would the EVM 12L go on top or bottom in the configuration?

MightyGuru

The EV would overpower the V30...which might be good thing. The speakers should be the same ohms.
The last question...try it both ways.

tele_jas

As long as the ohms are the same on both speakers. Also pay attention to how the speaker you're replacing is wired up and wire it up the same. If it sounds "off", some speakers have their Pos and Neg backwards and you may need to swap the wires one the speakers to get your cab back in phase.

ledzep618

I don't think the EVM will overpower the V30 on sheer SPLs. They're both 100 dB speakers I believe. The extended lows and highs of the EV might make it appear to dominate the spectrum a bit.

Fwiw, I don't like EVMs mixed with anything. Kinda kills the whole big neutral speaker idea. I love V30s too, but yeah I wouldn't mix them with an EV

joeprs

I used to gig a Mesa Maverick 1 x 12 with the Celestion 90 and put it on top of a Thiele 200 EV. The speakers complimented one another well and I had a nice full sound that cut through well.

I don't think it would hurt to try at all.

As mentioned above, make sure the ohms match and you connect it correctly.

LowWatt

I played that combo of speakers in a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 for years. PHENOMENAL! They balance so well and just sounds huge. Detailed while still being warm. Cuts through while still being full frequency. if you're doing a vertical cab, put the EV on the bottom. Mine was a horizontal cab, but I'd occasionally put it on it's side and I preferred the baser EV coupling with the ground and the better cut of the V30 being closer to my ear.

Trending Topics