Can I make a Strat sound like a Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SillyWabbit, Jan 27, 2015.

1. SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit Member

I'll try to keep the back-story brief. I'm moving to Austin in the summer and need cash. I had to make the tough decision of choosing which of my three electric guitars to sell: Gibson ES-335, John Mayer Strat, or Telecaster American Deluxe. It was really between my Strat and Tele. I absolutely love the neck pickup on the Telecaster, but since the Strat is so much more dynamic with pedals I decided to keep it.

My question: is there anyway I can make the neck pickup on my Strat sound like the Tele neck pickup?? I have a Diamond compressor and thought I might be able to get somewhat close utilizing the comp. If there's anyone else out there that's done this or knows the science behind it I'd really appreciate a little help.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit Member

3. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

You could add a switch or push pull pot to combine the bridge and neck, that really helps with getting tele like tones from a strat.

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

The answer is no you cant but its fun to try.

[​IMG]

5. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

You can get closer by setting up your amp sound and guitar a little bit counter-intuitively. First thing I would do is drop the height of the neck pickup in the strat, basically down to the guard, but with the treble side raised slightly.

Wire the guitar so that the first tone knob effects only the neck (stock). Then wire the second tone pot, only to the bridge pickup, with the middle pickup not attached to the tone knob. (this is to salvage the #2 and #4 positions).

Get a pull knob set up on the guitar that brings the neck pickup in 100% when switched. Now you can run neck and bridge together and vary the volume of the bridge pickup. That's going to get you somewhere closer to Tele. There are some great sounds to be had with this blend.

There is a magnetic field shaping effect that a Telecaster neck pickup cover creates, you can't really get that with a normal strat neck pickup, but you can and should set up your amp, using the neck pickup only, ignore the bridge pickup, and get that neck pickup sounding as good as you can. Then when you go to the bridge pickup, you have a tone knob you can use to dump some top end.

You can put a tele neck pickup in a strat, but it's sloppy and small in the guard and you would need to do the mounting under the guard, old school, screws into the wood. Better pick a tele neck pick up that's potted and fully covered, the partial covered pickups that are not potted can squeal without the help of the pickguard tight around the pickup. This I learned the hard way with a guard-less parts tele I put together. The Fender original Vintage reissue pickup is nice for this.

6. SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit Member

Awesome! This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!