Can I make my 5e3 gig-loud and it still sound like a 5e3?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by weshunter, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Wes - I think you're on the right track by trying more efficient speakers. May want to try a Swamp Thang as it is notably more efficient than the Texas Heat and sounds really great with Fender amps. I have an amp that I made myself, that is modeled after the Martin 112T, which was basically a lower-voltage 5E3, with trem on one channel. And that amp sounds really great with a Swamp Thang (I have a few clips of it -- the Tremster -- on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/Leonc1234/, FWIW.)

Are you the only guitarist in the band? If not, is part of the problem that you can't hear yourself well above the other guitarist? If that's the problem...then I'd say there's a good chance you'll just need a bigger amp.

I have another amp that is powered by a pair of cathode-biased 5881s (a little more powerful than 6V6s) that sounds a lot like a bigger 5E3. This one was made by Dan Electro under the Silvertone badge; model 1433 and with a good speaker and cab, it's just ridiculous how good it sounds (considering how cheaply it was made). It is notably louder than the 5E3 but does a lot of the same things that I love about 5E3s (easy to dial in, full, gorgeous cleans, great natural overdrive, super-responsive to pick attack and guitar vol changes) but the low-end hangs together better and has trem on one channel. I just did a clip of this amp (also on my youtube channel, FWIW).

2. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

yeah i'm the only guitarist. and i do have another amp that is much louder (omega 410 deville, which is actually where i put those CTS alnicos i think i got from you, leon) -- i just like having the light, grab and go 5e3 for small gigs and rehearsals.

3. JStotes

JStotes Member

Tried a Cannibus Rex in mine and it sounds great! Much louder and kept the tweed sound I love. Also tried a Texas Heat and it was OK, but not as open as the CR.

FWIW I use a 12ay7 in the V1. Seems to make the cleans smoother and the breakup a little later.

4. Leonc

Oh yeah, and on the OT theme of "Does Dumble amp = Tweed tone"...I gotta say, "Not based on my experience."

I don't know anything at all about the amp HAD built for David Lindley--other than I absolutely loved his tone and playing on Running on Empty--but that didn't sound anything like a tweed Deluxe to me. And none of the Dumble amps I've heard or tried were remotely like Fender tweeds other than that they are all made from tubes, resistors, capacitors, wire and steel and maybe a little bit of silicon :).

5. Leonc

Yeah, I hear you on the grab and go thing. I love that little Martin-type amp I made myself. Same deal...killer for rehearsals and loud enough for gigs I do in one of my bands....but the other band I play in, which is a bit louder, it can't quite keep up and I need to bring the bigger (Sears) amp...

6. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

if this t-heat doesn't work out, the c-rex is my next stop. i used to have one in a 112 fender amp and really liked it. there had been a used 8ohm crex somewhere, i probably would have started there.

7. Leonc

Cool, yeah, I love the CR too. I have one in my brown Deluxe and in my DR too. Bet that'll sound great in the 5E3 as well.

8. speedemon

speedemon Member

Hmm, related question;

Does someone make a "high gain, lo fi" 5e3 sounding amp that is also as loud as the real thing?

9. cocheese

cocheese Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure it would work with your amp, but I have an amp I love that was built by a good friend that is based upon a 5e3 but uses 6L6's and a Weber rectifier. I think the Weber is the magic weapon, because the amp doesn't sag so much when I push it. Things stay together but it still has the sound I want. Again, I'm not sure this would work with your amp (electronically speaking), but I notice a sag when I use a tube rectifier compared to the Weber thingy.

10. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

This is super interesting, thanks for posting.
    And in fact, I have a 70's Dumble clone (Bludotone) that can be dialed to sound somewhat similar to a bigger Deluxe, in the sense that it has that angry, dynamic and responsive feel.
    It's still a different sound, but I wouldn't say that comparison is wrong.

11. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

Mark Baier uses the Emi Legend in his Victoria deluxe/20112 as the basic option to the lower efficiency Jensen reissue. Maybe his choice would be different if price was ignored, but he has good ears.

12. bilbal

bilbal Member

13. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I'd like to find that Greer UD15 in a 5E3 kit form. What was changed in the circuit for the UD15?

What speaker?

14. bilbal

bilbal Member

I had a tweed head UD15 Mod1 and ran it thru a 1x12 EV12L or 2x12 with Emi's. I really don't know a whole lot about the circuit or its history with Nick Greer. The amp was phenomenal though. Letting it go was a mistake. I actually just emailed Nick again. Maybe I'll grab another.

Nick is a great dude. Shoot him an email. I'm sure he will help you.

15. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

No problem, I remember being surprised by that quote when I read it myself, as I don't exactly thing Tweed Deluxe when I hear the Dumble type overdrive sound, but they do have a sort of dynamic creamy mid thing they share in common.

Just giving the OP another idea, not trying to stir up the pot.

Given the fact that the OP wants grab n go, the dumble style amps probably wouldn't work for that either.

Perhaps you can find a local shop or player that has one of the dual 6L6 Deluxes, or maybe a Victoria Double Deluxe. Then you can A/B with your amp, to see if the new amps will hold up.

dk