Can I put a Marshall head chassis in a combo cab?

Promit

I have a Marshall style 18w amp that I built in a head chassis. I do not wish to change the chassis. Can I safely put this thing into a combo cab? The tubes would be horizontal, with their tips pointed at the speaker. I think the cab would need to be a little deeper than normal to avoid crashing the tubes into the speaker magnet but I don't think it's too excessive.

Is this okay? Or should I just make it a head or piggyback type arrangement?

Gnarlly

Yes it will be fine. That is how the Marshall combos of the 60s and 70s were arranged. Just give some clearance as you have said. Note that you will significantly increase tube vibrations which may lead to microphonic noises.

I have a Marshall style 18w amp that I built in a head chassis. I do not wish to change the chassis. Can I safely put this thing into a combo cab? The tubes would be horizontal, with their tips pointed at the speaker. I think the cab would need to be a little deeper than normal to avoid crashing the tubes into the speaker magnet but I don't think it's too excessive.

Is this okay? Or should I just make it a head or piggyback type arrangement?
You can do it no problem, so long as there is at least 1 1/2" of clearance between the tube and speaker magnet. Otherwise (as stated previously) your tubes will become little squeal-bulbs in time. In some cases the filament can even be pulled into the grid by force of the magnet, rendering your tubes useless until you fix the clearance. And if you turn your amp on (and somehow don't notice that it's screaming for help) and leave it in that state, it can result in the death of your tubes.

If I were you, I would make it into a head. But you're talking to a guy with 1 combo amp, 5 heads, and 4 different cabs thus far. There are more tonal variations I can get this way, and I can get away with late night jamming because my cabs differ in efficiency. Playing a show? Grab the 2x12. My fiance asleep? Hook up the baby 8". Just going to a friends house to jam? 1x12 for the win.

Just opinions. Another route would be to build a head cab for it. That way you could pull the chassis from the combo and make it a head to take to a show or jam sesh if you had a cab waiting there for you. Or vice versa if you just need a compact setup in one big box. You would always have the option to change it back. But what it really all boils down to are a couple of things. 1: Are you willing to put even more money into a head cab you may not use much? 2: How much do you like the amp?

If you DO go the combo route, make sure when you fire it up for the first time in the cab, that you have visible access to the power tubes. just to make sure they're lit properly/not red-plating, etc.

Good luck :aok

Trending Topics