Can I put my OS on a RAID 0?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by S Effren, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Bobo Fret

Bobo Fret Whatchyou lookin' at? Silver Supporting Member

Welcome TGP Tech Support

So I have a dual boot system using 2 x 256GB SSD's. One each for Win 7 32-bit and 64-bit respectively. I keep my DAW and all my music stuff on the 64-bit drive and everything else on the 32-bit. All my library's on other HDD's.

I've run out of space on both SSD's and am considering ditching the 32-bit Win in favor of one 64-bit OS installation on a RAID 0 spread over the two SSD's. Is that do-able, allowed, etc.? Bearing in mind all my critical data is backed up elsewhere. It'd free up some space for some more software and probably make the performance significantly better than it already is (which is pretty damn good).

My Google search says it's probably kosher, but I trust you guys more than Joe Internet, no matter how misguided that may be ;)

2. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Sure, why not?

However I would advise on running Raid 0. There are supposed to be speed benefits but I never saw them. If one drive goes you lose everything.

3. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

I tried Raid 0 with a couple of SSD drives this past year and didn't notice much of a performance increase. Unlike the old days with mechanical drive where you got a big boosted.

With drives being so cheap now days, you may better using your SSD in a mirror format and just stick a cheap big drive in for mass storage.

I bought a 4 WD 4 tb's for about $100 each and use that for a media server. Sad to say I'm running tight on space again.

4. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Hackenfort have you tried Unraid? I built a unraid box using old parts and it is an awesome home media server. I lost a drive and but I did not lose any data at all.

5. Bobo Fret

Bobo Fret Whatchyou lookin' at? Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, Raid 0 is what I had in mind. Not looking for performance so much as freeing up SSD space to add a few more programs (soft synths). Like a dummy, I bought some new software not realizing that I was totally out of space on my SSD. 256GB goes fast.

Instead of subsidizing oil, the government should be subsidizing flash memory, so we don't have to pay obscene prices for such small amounts of it. Step away from the crack pipe...

And I do keep all my data on standard hard drives - videos, music, software libraries/patches/loops/samples, etc.

I only put the actual programs themselves on the SSD's. And everything is backed up in duplicate. All my Sonar projects in triplicate. Some things you learn the hard way.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I wouldn't do OS on a RAID 0...it's far too volatile.

Just pick up a 500GB Samsung SSD for $250 and be done with it.

7. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

So refreshing to see someone who understands this. If you don't have your data in three places, you don't have your data :aok

As far as yor question goes, I don't know how fickle win7 is with the boot sector and possible problems on a reboot.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member