Can I put P-90's in my ES 335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jjboogie, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I was wondering if I can replace my humbuckers with P-90's.....Do they make them that fit? Would it be easy or do I just need to buy a guitar with P-90's and keep the 335 the way it is?

thanks
    jj

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

yes, but you can't use regular P-90s, you need humbucker P-90's, something like a seymour duncan phat cat.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Duncan has a p-90 thats the same size as a humbucker. I think others may also offer one up.

4. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

all sorts of pup makers make P90's that fit into HB rings, no mods necessary.

5. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Can you recommend some other makers besides S.D.? I will check those out too but it would be cool to have more choices.

thanks
    jj

6. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I bought some Kent Armstrong P90s in a humbucker housing. Great pickups and very economical.
    [​IMG]
    Only issue was that they are deep, and I had to have my guitar tech route a little out of the bottom pickup cavities. I would only recommend this if your 335 is not vintage/collectable. I put mine in a Hagstrom Ultraswede. Here's a pic before the P90 install.
    [​IMG]

7. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

off the top of my head (all of these sound at least very good, and are good guys);

OC Duff
    Vintage Vibe (Pete Biltoft)
    SK Design
    Lindy Fralin
    Curtis Novak (I think)
    Lollar ( i think- he makes a terrific P90- prety sure he makes one that fits in a HB surround).

there are many others out there...

8. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Gibson P94s. Very nice.

9. ganttmann

ganttmann Member

Harmonic Designs Z-90's are kinda like P-90's on steroids. I had a pair in my PRS for a while. They're also pretty quiet for single coils.

Gantt

10. MVrider

MVrider Member

You could install some "P-90's in Humbucker housings" but coming from Humbuckers, the noise will probably drive you nuts. I'd suggest Lindy Fralin P-92's. Single-coil sound without the single-coil buzz.

11. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I think I would not want to route anything on my 335 for right now.....i would like to be able to leave it the way it is just in case I would like to go back to the Humbuckers.

I played a double cutaway LP yesterday and it was SOOOOO warm and it sounded so good.....Right now my only guitars I own are a 335 and a Les Paul so that is one reason why I would like to try out the P-90's to have a different sound.

12. ganttmann

ganttmann Member

Have you thought about doing some wiring tricks? I have a circuit I came up with that adds a 4 pole/double throw mini-switch that gives you the option of having the outside coils in series (humbucker balls w/ big, round single coil sound) and the inside coils in parallel (kinda Strat-like). It requires pickups w/ all 4 conductors available. Here's a scan of my schemo:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/ganttmann/GanttsGuitar1.jpg

Gantt

13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

yes, but replacing electronics in a hollowbody is a giant pain in the ass.

14. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Thanks for being specific and offering input however your suggestions are WAY over my head! I am just a player. I don't really know much or have any experience in wiring diagrams and stuff.

15. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UI8HwJcFaBY

Ignore my singing. The Gibson ES135 had the buckers replaced with Harmonic Design Z-90s. Basically hum-free P90s that pop right into a humbucker slot, no routing needed. As you can hear, melikey.

16. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Do you have any sound clips.....I have a relationship with Gibson so I might just order these from them. But I would like to hear them first.

peace
    jj

17. ganttmann

ganttmann Member

I wouldn't suggest that you do it yourself unless you have plenty of experience w/ this kind of stuff anyway and yes - rewiring hollowbodies is a pain. It is, however, a great sounding mod.

Gantt

18. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Getting another decent guitar to have the P90 sound is what I did. That's why I picked up the Hagstrom. Got it for right around $300 new, and it has a maple cap on a poplar body (the super Swede has a mahogany back like a Les Paul). This thing has an incredible neck on it (using their H-bar system to make it paper-thin). Really a fun guitar to play.

You might also try the Korean Hamer Standard (older version of the SATF). These were made in 1998 and have a maple cap on a mahogany body. I absolutely love mine, and can't decide if I like it more than my 93 Les Paul Studio with upgraded WB pickups! Search ebay (descriptions) for Hamer Korea* Here's one that you can get and just replace the tuners:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunburst-Hamer-...ryZ33042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!

19. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Pick up a used ES333. Has the access hatch in the back. Then you can try 'em all! But seriously...I like the SD Phat Cats -- hot enough to be, er, well, um, phat, but not too dark.

20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Harmonic Design Z90s sound great in the 335 I've heard them in, fantastic player that owns it though, so obviously that helps. I have a Z90 in the neck position of a tele partscaster, paired with his S90 bridge picup, and love it there as well.

I've heard lots of good things about the others, including that some of them sound more like a real P90, and I'm sure those reports are generally true. But I'm pretty sold on the Z90.