Can I Rant for a Second? (Relic Content)

AlligatorMtn

As a owner of a relic guitar myself I can't say much however I have a problem with very bad relics, those that don't look natural and in my honest opinion, take away from the feel and vibe and concept of the guitar...

I won't name the dealer or the builder because they're both well respected and do a fine job, however this guitar looks HORRIBLE.

JDJ

You don't have to name names... just right click the photo and then on "Properties". Does look pretty bad.

M

Member 995

I wonder if in 50 years there will be relics trying to recapture the vibe of bad relics from the present.

Bryan

Soothsayer

(Paul)
Gold Supporting Member
Wow, that is a horrible relic job. Funny thing is, someone will buy it and think its the best relic job ever.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
crossing the fine line between relic and wreck
clever and stupid
we all make mistakes

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Ahhh, no comment. I will say I really like my K-Line Tele though... :munch

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
tis my opinion, but i dont ever recall seeing a guitar that this builder has done that actually looks good.

IMO, they always look contrived.

again, just my opinion, which doesnt matter at all.

SGNick

In 10-20 years, you guys will be looking back at the whole relic fad the way people look back at the huge 80's hair, leg warmers and sweat bands.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
In 10-20 years, you guys will be looking back at the whole relic fad the way people look back at the huge 80's hair, leg warmers and sweat bands.

Well, maybe not quite that way.
I'll recall the Relics with fondness.

ScottR

Silver Supporting Member
well if you're not gonna name the builder you might want to take his name out of the filename of that photo you posted:messedup:messedup:moon

dave s

I don't think so. Here's a reason why:

The first road dings and dents that landed on any of my brand new, pristine finished guitars hurt me more than they did the guitar or its value.

If you take your guitars out of the case, they're going to get dinged even if you're really careful. If you take your guitars to gigs, it's just a matter of when and how soon it happens.

Ironically, I haven't felt that way about my relics. I'm very careful not to compromise the physical performance of the guitars, but finish-wise, what's a couple more dings going to hurt?

dave

gkoelling

tis my opinion, but i dont ever recall seeing a guitar that this builder has done that actually looks good.

IMO, they always look contrived.

again, just my opinion, which doesnt matter at all.
It matters to you and it's a shared opinion.

buddastrat

Most of the vintage guitars are beat up to some degree. When those go out of fashion or collectability, the relics will too.

Nash isn't my favorite relic artist, but he does better work than that. I wonder if that was just some crazy trashed look he was going for. The 22nd fret is not part of a vintage style strat to begin with, so he might've just been going for something else.

If that guitar sounded great, I'd play the snot out of it just like it is. I own some relics and added lots of my own wear to them, so they are part of me and got stories to tell. Lotsa stories.

Trending Topics