Can I replace a Dogear P90 with a Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by solarbean, Mar 25, 2008.

1. solarbean

solarbean Supporting Member

I have a Hamer Korina Jr (Like a les paul junior) with a single bridge Dog Ear Duncan p90. The sound is a bit too trebley, airy, and harsh for my tastes.

I'm interested in warming it up a bit. Maybe not as much as my standard Les Paul, but I definitely want to go in that direction.

What are my options for an easy replacement to warm up the tone? Will mini-buckers help? Are they available in P90 form factor?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'd look at different winds of the P90 pickup, available from Lollar, Fralin, Vintage Vibe Guitars, etc., LONG before I'd throw a 'bucker in there...

But that's just me. ;)

3. solarbean

solarbean Supporting Member

I'm not very knowlegeable about the different types of P90's. I went to the Seymore Duncan web site and found a great pickup comparison page . Unfortunately, I do not know what type of P90 they put in these Hamer Korina Jr's. To my ears, it sounds like the SPH90-1 Phat Cat - harsh to my ears.

What would you suggest for a warm bassey P90?

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Jason Lollar does a "50s Wind", also known as the "Sean Costello Wind." I would email him directly and explain the situation, and see what he recommends.

I suspect you could also email Fralin, or Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars, and see what they suggest.

I remember owning a couple PRS McCarty Soapbar guitars a few years back, which also had custom-wound Duncans... they sounded like what you describe in the Hamer - a little too hot and a little too bright - and I wasn't very happy with them, either...

Duncan's Antiquity P90s are pretty damned good, too.

The original P90s in my '53 ES-175 sound exactly like what you're looking for, and over the summer, I picked up an '06 VOS Les Paul Special, and I have to say that the stock Gibson P90s in that guitar sounded remarkably like the old ones in my '53. Another possible route for you to follow.

There... now I've *really* muddied the waters. LOL!

5. Funkwire

Funkwire Member

The Lollars or the Fralins will get you that tone on the neck pickup. A friend of mine has the Lollars in his PRS Singlecut and I have the Fralins in my Epi Gold Top. Lots of creamy, woody tone on the neck pup, and all the chainsaw edge on the bridge pup you could want! :dude