Can I replace my Boost N Buff switch with this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Trauma Llama, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Member

Switch is going out on my MI Audio Boost N Buff.

Can I replace it with this switch?

[​IMG]

If I can how should I wire it?

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pics.

Thanks

2. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Member

3. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

You can, but the BnB doesn't need the extra two poles in your new 3PDT switch as it isn't true-bypass.

Just use a multi-meter to bell out the switch to find the normally-open, normally-closed and common connections on the new switch. Then do the same for the old switch and wire accordingly.

The common is always along a centre row on these types of switches, so that'll be the black wire. The other two don't matter, as long as they on opposite sides of the same pole (ie. connected to the same common when in their respective 'on' positions.)

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

4. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Member

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a less technical version for someone who barely knows which end of the solder gun is the hot end? Or maybe point me in the direction of a replacement switch similar to the one in the BNB?

Thanks again :AOK

5. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I assume that something is wrong with your BnB for you to want to change the switch?

If so, how do you know it's the switch that is causing the problem?

6. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Member

Yes. The switch cuts in and out if I wiggle it. If it is on I can adjust the knob, plug and unplug and do whatever as long as I don't touch the switch. As soon as the switch is bumped it starts cutting out again. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

7. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

As long as there is a little extra room around the existing switch, then the one that you have pictured will work fine.

Do you have a multimeter?

8. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Assuming you don't have a multimeter, you can solder the black wire to the central pin on the new switch, and then solder the other two wires on adjacent lugs (vertically aligned). If that doesn't work, then leave the black wire where it is and resolder the other two wires on the other pair of adjacent lugs (horizontally aligned).

Think of the 3PDT switch as three separate single pole double throw switches. (For simplicity, 'pole' = 'separate switch'). All you need to know is which lugs belong to each individual switch (pole). If you have a multimeter (or if the switch is labelled), you can check which lugs go together. Since you only need a single 'pole', you can ignore the 6 lugs of other two 'poles'.

It's pretty simple, and your only risk is burning yourself with the soldering iron. No matter how you connect those wires to the switch, you can't damage the circuit.

Also, you may have to ream out the hole if the new switch uses a bigger threaded shaft.

9. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Member

Thanks! That explanation is just what I needed.:D I have access to a multimeter at work but do not have one at home. Hopefully I will be able to try this over the weekend. Thanks again for the information. :AOK