Can I retire my TTE after I get the Echoczar

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zzz, Jul 28, 2006.

1. zzz

zzz Member

I ordered my TTE so my waiting for the Echoczar would'nt be so bad. But I can't even turn it off now! So you guys with both do you feel the need to use both. I would rather use pedals only but I've got a feeling that I'll be using both. Please tell me I'm wrong.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

no keep it. You cant compare them. I just got mine working and its unbelievable. You have to keep both. Ones analog the others tape. I like how its so warm sounding. I love my setup now. Trust me keep both. DOnt get me wrong, I cant wait for my echoczar, but Im keeping the TTE, and ML. Im big on delays.

3. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Yes you can retire your TTE. By the way I happen run a retirement home for retired TTE's and I would be happy to have your's come and stay with me.:dude

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I hope by "retire" you mean leave it at home for gigs...

5. Coach

Coach Senior Member

marko - post some clips

Or someone post some TTE clips. It sounds cool.

6. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

they seem to be two very different approaches. I haven't played either, but I wouldn't rule out using them together ;)

7. drolling

drolling Member

Echo's the new overdrive..

..well, it is for me. Inundated, as I am, with Lovepedal, Cochrane, BJF, Hermida, MJM, MI Audio, Barber, Fulltone, Diamond and god knows what all else here in my studio.. I've clearly hit the law of diminishing returns with this stuff.

But there's so much funk injected into the signal path with analogue delay - I've been OD'ing on it every night and crawling back for more & more..

Don't have a TTE yet, tho' I'm hoping to get one while I wait for Ed to catch up. I'm currently splitting the feed from a Jacques Prisoner to a Deluxe Memory Man & a Memory Lane driving an AC15 and a '63 Vibroverb - some of the thickest, most luscious tones tones ever ever.. no drive pedals in the chain whatsoever. Just some clean boost & compression.

And I know that some of our favorite builders are tinkering w/their own spins on new analogue delay designs as we speak.

Just tracked down a Moogerfooger delay right here in my home town and I'll be demoing it tomorrow w/my crusty old tele and a blackface Vibrochamp that I recently nursed back to health.. details at 11

8. threm

threm Member

Another delay nut here.
    How`s the Prisoner different from DMM. More pristine? Shorter delay time?
    How do they stack?

Thanks!

9. drolling

drolling Member

The Prisoner's got maximum 300ms of delay and very hi-fi (clean & quiet) sounding compared to the DMM. It also refuses to self-oscillate which has made me suspicious about what's actually inside the pedal (opened it up and could only see the bottom of the circuit board).

Compared to my ultra-sensitive early DMM RI, it's got tons more headroom, altho' you can still get some particularly ugly sounding clipping if you hit it hard enough.

Very cool sounding modulation circuit that goes from a wide, slow sweep to a fast warble AND it's really compact (smaller than a BOSS enclosure) if you're tight on pedalboard space.

I'm kinda shocked:eek:that you don't already have one, threm. I think you'd like it:dude

BTW, the clips on Jacques' site (www.ts808.com) are pretty accurate examples of what this pedal does..

10. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

+1 on what drolling says.
    Delay junkie true confessions. Collect them all!

May I quote or paraphrase drolling here when I say, "Delay is the new OD" (Oh, and 50 is the new 30!).

Clean, quiet, hi-fi with warmth. Perfect size.
    I've had the Prisoner for a few weeks now. My two little, niggly quibbles with the Prisoner are:

1. The modulation pot on my unit goes from too little modulation to far too much modulation too quickly. I would like a bit more control.

2. Meaningless, but I'll say it: The Prisoner is not very pretty to look at for me - but, the white knobs are very visible on stage.

11. zzz

zzz Member

I'm sorry people for me to disappear like but our time difference is a bit of a pain (when posting here)- about 8 hrs for a lot of you and me. Actually when I started the post I really meant the tone of the TTE and not the delay. I bought it for the delay but did'nt expect to get the bonus- Tone. For those who owns them I'm sure know what I mean. And I'm sure the Czar's delay would be superb but would the TONE with minimum delay cover the same ground as the TTE. So would I be missing the tone (TTE's) when I take it out of my rig and have the Czar instead.

12. drolling

drolling Member

It's the two Ts in the TTE that give it it's distinctive tone. That extra gain stage provided by the tubes make it an excellent choice for overdrive as well as delay. Lots of players run them with the echo turned off for this reason.. You'll get a whole 'nother type of nasty distortion from the bucket-brigade chips in most analogue delays, but I don't think you'll want to be retiring the TTE when you hear it.

13. zzz

zzz Member

Thanks for that reply Drolling. I was afraid of that, now it seems I'm hooked and probably have to get use to the hassles that comes with it! All for the sake of good tone!:mad:

14. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

15. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have an analog delay (Maxon AD 80) and an echoplex EP-3. Tape and analog sound nothing alike. Could easily find uses for both.