Can I run my Bogner Alchemist at 4 ohm with an 8 ohm load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axe-Man, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I know this has been talked to death though I have this query...

My Alchemist runs two 16ohm v30's in parallel for 8 ohm and when I'm plugged into the 8 ohm tap, it doesn't sound as full or tight as when it's plugged into the 4 ohm tap.

Will I damage the amp running a 4 ohm tap with an 8 ohm load? Is it just a matter of time or would it be fine?

I ask as I'd had a mesa 20/20 power amp previously and there was no prob about running the 8 ohm tap with a 16 ohm load. Even the Bogner says on the back that I can use the 8 ohm tap with a 16 ohm load (and that it might just be quieter). So using the same concept 4 ohm tap and 8 ohm load, will I be ok? The tonal difference is TBH quite noticable which I wasn't expecting. Other amps I've tried this with have had no tonal differences.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Generally you can run your amp into a higher resistance cab.

The opposite will fry your transformer or cause other problems.

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Hey Jim, yeah I found this with my old Mesa and even though the Bogner says this is ok on the back (the 8 ohm tap is for both 8 and 16 ohm loads) I'm just a little wary about the 4 ohm tap.

I'd hate to fry the OT though I guess that it'll be ok if Bogner is ok with a mismatch at 8 ohm...can't imagine it being an issue on the 4 ohm tap if they are already ok with the 8 ohm.

4. B Money

B Money Member

I'll have to try that. I've been running my Alchemist into a 16ohm Marshall 4x12, and it sounds good to me but I wouldn't mind having more punch. Hell, "you can never have too much punch" I always say.

5. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

This is the same rule I've always followed. You can get a slightly different sound by running a mismatched impedance. Some people prefer to do that.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Exactly! I even found it sounded more punchy into a 16 ohm load (on the 8 ohm tap) even compared to an 8 ohm load which was odd.

I wonder if something could be wrong with this 8 ohm tap...?

I've never noticed a difference in tone doing this before but there is definitely a difference in this case.