Can I talk about the Krank Revolution

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Flah, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Flah

Flah Member

seeing as how I've owned it for over a month and I've had a chance to play it for awhile.....

FIRST OFF - NO, I don't work for Krank and am in no way affiliated with Krank, so don't even think that this is in any way a fake review. If you want to confirm this, call Easy Music Center in Honolulu and ask if someone bought the silver Revolution half stack recently.

Regarding the fake reviews Krank posted on HC..... yeah, I agree that's bullsh!t, but c'mon, do you REALLY want to spend money based on someone else's review?

Okay, enough rant.

A little about me since I'm sure none of you here (with the exception of Guitar Diner guys) knows who I am......

I am a primarily rock guitar player, though I write in many different styles. I won Runner's Up in the John Lennon Songwriting Competition in 2003. I've also played in a bunch of cover bands here in Honolulu, most notably Giant Wheel Throw and Joe Rock Star. I'm currently working on some originals which sound like classic thrash meets death metal songs. But my influences are all over the map and include jazz, country, blues, ska and electronica artists as well as the typical classic rock guys and Shrapnel type shredders.

Anyway, about the Krank..... there's a myth about this amp that it sounds very "solid state". What does that mean anyway? I've owned a few tube amps, and in no way do I describe the Krank as "solid state" sounding. My perception is that a bunch of people on the internet know of Krank's association with Dimebag, a former fan of solid state amps, and that's what they're basing this assessment on.

When I think of a good tube amp tone, I'm thinking Soundgarden's "Fell On Black Days" or any old AC/DC or even "Jealous Again" by the Black Crowes. I currently also own a Bogner Ecstasy 101B, a Marshall DSL50, a Mesa Dual Rectifier solo head and a blackface Fender Showman. In the past I've owned a Roland JC-120 head (now THAT'S a solid state tone), Mesa Mark III combo, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 120 and an ADA MP-1/MC rack system. The Krank does a great glassy tube tone at all gain settings.

To me, solid state tone is Andy Summers or Allan Holdsworth.

The clean tone. Well, let's see here. It's not the best clean sound of any high gain amp. Of all the high gain heads that I've heard, that award would have to go to the Marshall DSL50, which is, to me, as good a clean tone as the Fender Showman (the benchmark IMO). But, the clean sound on the Krank gets close, points off for less flexibility in terms of tone controls for the Krank. But in all fairness to the Krank, it doesn't share tone controls with the gain channel like the DSL50 does.

Now for the Krank channel. I think the reason so many people hate it is because they don't know the secret, which is to really drop down the presence to just about 0. With that, and the treble at, say, 1:00, and the gain cranked, it flat out rocks. Anything above there and I can see why there are complaints about buzziness and maybe again the perception of solid state-ness. The gain doesn't give you the total fluid lead sound like the Bogner Ecstasy or the old ADA MP-1, but what you lack in fluidity more than gets made up for with clarity, bite, and tight low end. I think that's why it's popular with bands like Shadows Fall, Arch Enemy and the like.

And part of the advantage of that too is that your guitars all sound very unique. A bad guitar will just sound bad! Unlike the Ecstasy, which imparts it's own tone on any guitar. Hell, with the Ecstasy, I have no problems switching from my Tele to my Les Paul, because the gain sounds don't vary that much from guitar to guitar. But with the Krank, it's the first amp where I've heard guitars sound drastically different, even through high gain. This is what turned me off to my Parker (which sounds incredible through the Ecstasy but kinda bad through the Krank).

Don't get me wrong, I would never sell my Ecstasy, but the Krank just does things so differently and it's so complementary to the Bogner.

What surprised me with the Krank are the lower gain tones on the Krank channel. You still have bite and attack when you want it, but then there is this compressed sustain that you get that I've never heard from a tube amp before. It's almost like the amp is super Kranked and you're getting the power of feedback for sustain, even when the amp is only like at 3. I love tones like Larry Carlton's from his first album and the Steely Dan stuff, and while it's not quite the same, the Krank can get in there as well.

The Krank also takes my TS-10 very nicely too, giving a nice smooth lead sound.

I suppose it wouldn't be a fair review without some complaints. I guess the first thing is, whereas my other amps sound great at relatively low (kids sleeping upstairs) volumes, the Krank sounds like crap when it's really soft. No switches for the effects loop is a minus too.

Otherwise, what can I say? I think it's a great amp. I've done some recording with it already (with a Sennheiser E609 on the grill) and it sounds great. Panned hard with my Ecstasy it's awesome.

Anyway, I just thought I'd offer some comments from a real owner, who has some other tube heads to directly compare it with.

Alright, let the flames begin!!!!

2. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

To answer the thread title, "Can I talk about the Krank Revolution"?

The answer is, sure, but I don't think many people here will listen!

I'm glad you're happy with it. I think those amps have their place in the tonal universe, and like EVERY amp, they aren't for everyone.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

No flames here. I've played one, and thought it was merely 'okay'. But that was at GC volumes. My impression was that it cost too much. You can get a Blue Voodoo head for alot less, and it seemed like it did much of the same thing. But that was me.

They have a bad rap for shady marketing, and it seems well deserved. But at last we at least see an honest review. I won't get one anytime soon (ever), but it will have it's place in the low-end market tube world.

4. v-verb

v-verb Member

I tried one out - it was OK but I needed to "Krank" the gain. Surprizingly it just didn't have enough gain for me. My Mako really outgains the revo.

I A/B'd the Mako against a Krankenstein and although the stein had enough gain, it was a full on buzz machine - not my bag.

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

You may preach the merits of the Krank all you want. Dime loved the thing and whatever anyone says about his tone, It was HIS tone. I heard a few Kranks in my time. Good High gain stuff. I don't think an amp has to be made one at a time, by hand, by a guy in some far corner of the earth and cost more than my truck did to sound good.

Rock on my man.

:dude

6. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

It's no Mad Professor.

7. LaXu

LaXu Member

Glad you like yours, personally when I tried it I couldn't find anything to like about it. To me the feel of the amp is very solid-stateish, kind of a really tight sound (a lot like some VHT amps actually) that is also rather compressed..not an amp for subtle picking dynamics I'd say but then again I wasn't expecting that from a metal amp. The tight, compressed and dry sound was what I also hated about the clean channel. The problem I had with the distorted channel was that despite using a Les Paul, with the Krank it seemed like there was little midrange even after playing with the mid and sweep pots. Sure it was clear, but it didn't have the girth of the Orange Rockerverb or ENGL Powerball next to it, even when cranked.

So I found the amp not versatile at all and for 1600€ it costs over here I'd get either of the afore-mentioned amps and have something better sounding and more versatile. Just my opinion.

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Why?????

Do you need to???

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Nuff said!!!!

Now i know you and i have not the same taste and i would never, based on this comment buy me a Krank.

I hate Marshalls for their tin sounding clean, thou i love to hear them roar.

, Marshall clean??/What a bold statement.

10. Beer

Beer Member

I think this is a fake post by an imaginary person. Who is this "Flah" anyway*? Yeah, right, how convenient that we have to call frickin' Hawaii to confirm your existance. Jeez.

* I've met Ryan and he's a badass guitarist and hell of a guy with good taste in music and tone. We are brothers separated at birth.:RoCkIn

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Wow, your post took me awhile to figure out ,but I think I just got it.. Ryan's from the old Guitarist Forum right? That got converted to the Guitar Diner right? I'm always remember "Beer" as Ted Diehl , as you're 1 of the only guys who's kept the same name on the net since I started in the early 90's on the forums. I can't remember Ryan's old screen name but it was a bizarro one! (the Fly? as in Parker Fly? ahhh FLah= Fly .. I get it) Whatever..... stirred up old memories.. Haven't played a Krank amp though I have a houseful of almost 30 amps these days. I'm gonna have a used guitar store someday , but for now I play them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s. You guys have had Bogner Xtc's for as long as anyone I've heard of.. .

ERIC

12. Flah

Flah Member

Yeah, I totally agree with your assessment. The Revolution doesn't have as much gain as my Ecstasy, but I think it's nice in the sense that it has a lot of balls. From what I've heard, Dimebag modded the Revolution to add more gain which resulted in the Krankenstein. I demo'd the Krankenstein and just didn't like that amp at all. Too buzzy and not glassy like the Revolution.

13. Flah

Flah Member

Thanks bro!!

14. Flah

Flah Member

Yeah, I kinda agree with you, but I didn't buy it for the versatility. That's what I have the Ecstasy for. But then again, you should hear the low gain sound - really nice sustain due to the compression.

Part of pushing the mids means diming the contour control to cut out the boomy bass, and drop the presence to close to 0. That's pretty much how I run mine, and it's nowhere near as buzzy as the reviews report it to be.

15. Flah

Flah Member

Not speaking for all Marshalls, but have you heard the DSL50's clean channel?

16. Flah

Flah Member

What's up Ted?

17. Flah

Flah Member

Hey Eric! Yeah, that's me. I think the "fly" moniker was taken on this forum which is why I opted for Flah (which everyone seems to call me these days). Wow, 30 amps?!? That's crazy!! What are they?

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I can't tell you all , but will say : Orange or120,Marshall 6101, 1971 Marshall Superlead, Egnater/Marshall jcm800 2204, Marshall jtm45modded, Morin modded JMP, Thd Flexi, Thd Plexi, 1970 Twin , 1962 Deluxe, Demeter tga2, tga3, Valvetronix combo, Yamaha/soldano combo ,Engl Screamer, Stereo el84 Engl , etcetcetc.... When I say 30 I'm counting my preamps Jmp1, a couple of ada Mp1's, Hiwatt 2000, Engl 520, Morin ,etc. I have way too much stuff, but like it all! Meanwhile , I have no money for house or car expenses and sell stuff when I need that. Also , when my kids are getting to the cars age (3 years away for 1 of them) and/or college, will need to sell gear, but for now , that's what I have! :)

ERIC

19. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

i've toured with a lot of krank endorsed bands and from what i've heard....(i dont know how true this is) is that Krank was bought up by some millionaire investor....and since then the company has been giving away scores of free amps to any up and coming metal/rock/hardcore bands ...it seems every other heavy rock act coming through has a krank....haha and sadly a lot of them sound really bad. most using the krankenstein and having almost zero cut in the mix.....probably took way too many mids out and you get the thinnest sound i've ever heard. then again...i've heard a few that made the revolutions sound really bright and ballsy....

but could it be that since the amps are given out for free bands just snatch em up...and don't take the time to really dial in a great sounding tone?

i haven't tried any kranks myself....just the revolution cabs...which im not a fan of... they made my diezel herbert sound kind of brittle and wayyyy too bassy sucked the tone right out of it.....could be the eminence legends in it...but i tried a basson cab with legends and it sounded fantastic....who knows....

20. v-verb

v-verb Member

Cool - If you like it and it works for you, don't let what anyone else says about it mess you up:AOK