Can I throw a Tele bridge pickup in my Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by michael.e, Sep 16, 2005.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I know that I can throw a baseplate in there, buy has anybody actually tried putting an actual Tele Bridge pickup in there? M.E.

2. Antero

Antero Member

It wouldn't fit in the space. I know Harmonic-Design makes a pickup that is actually a tele pickup machined down to strat-size.

3. michael.e

Perfect! Thanks for that! M.E.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - it's called the STP. Got one in my Strat and love it, very cool pup!

5. michael.e

I am at their website right now and I am looking at the "Super 90 Strat". Looks like something I would want! I am a P-90 freak anyway. M.E.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Also a killer pickup based on a good buddy's review - he's a P-90 freak as well...

The STP can honk if you get it close enough to the strings - that is what is so great about HD pups IMO. I've never heard such a wide variety of tones just based on the pup height alone. Really versatile...

7. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

We made our lead tele pup on a Strat chassis for use in the hardtail S styles. Or at least we did.

8. Babaji

Babaji Member

I had USA Custom guitars make me a one piece light Alder body that was routed to take either a standard Strat pickup or a Tele bridge pickup. A set of J.M. Rolph pickups(51 Tele bridge, 56 Strat neck and middle)...It's hard to put down! I've been using it for all my gigs...
    Bill

9. waylon

waylon Member

I know two very famous players that did this very thing to their strats. Tele bridge pickup into strat bridge. In their opinions the strat bridge p/up was/is really weak sounding, hence the change.

10. Rama

Rama Member

Lowell George

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Does it sound like a tele though? I mean, doesn't the old three barrel brass bridge add a lot to that tele tone?

Hmmmm.... Where's my router....

12. erksin

erksin Member

No, not exactly. But it is Tele-ish - stronger overall tone, the BRRRRAAANNNNGGG, etc. Not 100% Tele, but definitely in the 'hood.

13. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Hi . . I actually just asked about the reverse in another thread . . sort of.

I actualy just bought a MIM Tele . . . (first electric guitar in years!!) and I quickly discovered that I may have been hasty in purchasing it . . . but that's another story . .

anyway, I'm going to re-ask my question here cause this thread's related and is getting all the action:

"since I'll be looking to upgrade electronics AND add a filtertron-esque close to the bridge PU (in the middle position). . . . is it possible to go with a set of Strat pots and 5 way switch?

Would the Strat electronics change the Tele Tone . . . or is that tone in the PUs?"

14. erksin

erksin Member

The electronics are basically the same. You can just add a 5-way and get all those switching possibilites that a Strat offers, but make sure you find a way to keep/add the Bridge/Neck combination (or even better add the 'all on' option to the mix too) - those combos are one of the best reasons to have a Tele IMO...

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

+1. My first Chapin TBird has a Tele bridge / Strat middle and neck, plus a 5-way, plus a mini-switch to add the neck. So all 7 combinations are possible, and I use 'em all! Highly recommended....

16. c_mac

c_mac Member

Albert Lee uses the Seymour Duncan Twangbanger in his Music Man sig. It is an overwound Strat pickup with a baseplate on the bottom. He, of course, gets awesome Tele tones.

Chad