• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Can I use a floorboard modeler with a power amp and 4x12?

Jchrisf

I have a poweramp (Rocktron Velocity 300) and a couple of 4x12 cabs. Would a floorboard type modeler work with this setup? I'd really like to be able to control things with my feet... and especially have a whammy and wah effect along with every imaginable tone and effect

Jchrisf

Thanks guys.. now I just need to figure out which one... it seems the two favorites here are Zoom G3/5 and HD500.

Technica

Too many times people are forgetting to mention the Digitech RP1000, which is somewhat old, however it still sounds amazing and it's tremendously easy to dial in great tones with nearly zero effort. Its biggest limitation is not being able to assign effects ordering in the chain but for most users that feature is really irrelevant. It looks a bit goofy these days but the RP1000 is one of the very best floor configurations I've ever used for live shows.

Jchrisf

It seems that the Zoom G5 might be the best choice for a beginner like me as it has a looper and drum machine. I listened to that blind test of the four different units and the Vox Tonelab was actually my favorite but I think that had more to to with his config of the devices that anything because I looked up other videos and the Zoom sounded much better in those vids. The Digitech is still being made so I will have to check it out. It has a looper but doesn't seem to have a drum machine. I'm looking for best bang for the buck and a great practice tool. Since I am new to a lot of this stuff (effects and amps) I want something I can find help easily to dial in the perfect tone/effect (patch) from the great people online too.

I want to spend my time practicing and playing and not trying to figure some device out and getting frustrated for now.

DNW

I used to do this back in the day with my GT-8. I had various other amps and rack gear 'n' whatnot, but to band practices I'd just take the GT-8, a poweramp and a cab. Actually sounded pretty good, and it had all the amps, FX and switching and whatnot in the one handy unit.

FPFL

I do this with an Amplifire to a Matrix 1000 to a Mesa Recto 2x12.
Its works amazingly well.

A benefit of the Afire is I can run the XLRs with cab modelling instead of having a mic on my cab and the output to the Matrix with cab modelling off. No mic on stage. This way my sound to the mixing gets no ambient noise but I get the push of a cab on stage. I use the Matrix to adjust stage volume without changing the levels to the boards.

Remember a happy sound man does a better job! This is my favorite live setup.

Jchrisf

I am considering the Digitech RP360XP now... any thoughts? I hadn't heard of this until today and really haven't seen it mentioned much around here from my searches but it looks perfect for drum loops and looping which will make a great practice tool (what I am after).

micycle

I am considering the Digitech RP360XP now... any thoughts? I hadn't heard of this until today and really haven't seen it mentioned much around here from my searches but it looks perfect for drum loops and looping which will make a great practice tool (what I am after).
I own/use one. Love it and it sounds excellent but if you do a lot of patch changes mid-song there's a brief but annoying dropout - if that's a deal breaker for you, you might want to consider the Zoom equivalent. I use my RP360xp mainly as an overdrive and wah/vol pedal in front of my amp and it works GREAT for that. Oh, and also the editing software is really annoyingly slow; when you change a parameter in it, it takes a second or two to register in the pedal. I ditched the software 5 minutes into it and just tweaked the pedal. Thankfully it's well designed for on the fly tweaking so I don't mind.

I used to use my BOSS GT5 and GT6 into a power amp and Randall 4x12 and it sounded great. Got tired of lugging the cab around though and eventually downsized to a couple of Tech 21 Power Engines.

Trending Topics