• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Can I use a Taylor GS mini (Koa) in a church praise band and will it sound puny?

vbf

Silver Supporting Member
I'm being offered a trade for a Taylor GS mini Koa with ES-B and interested because I am asked from time to time to play to play acoustic (I'm primarily an electric player) with my church's praise band. We play in a large auditorium with a professional sound system and engineer and regulary have >1000 congregants and 3 services each Sunday. I've never actually played a mini so don't know what it sounds like, although I'll obviously try it out, but don't want to waste the gentlemans' time if I don't think it'll work for me.

So what do you guys think about using a GS mini in this capacity? Willi it sound full or is it simply a matter of scale? Is a m Mini a practice/couch guitar or can it be gigged with?

BTW, the band consists of acoustic drums, 2 keys, 2 electrics, bass, and up to 4 vocalists.

Thanks!!!!

Tony Done

I think it would depend more on the pickup, preamp and sound engineer more than the acoustic properties of the guitar itself. I've you tried the Mini koa? I like the Mini mahogany better than the spruce version, but I haven't tried the koa, and wonder whether it might sound a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Reactions: vbf

mccreadyisgod

My parlor acoustic with Schatten HFN Artist sounds bigger than my OM with a Fishman Prefix and my Grand Symphony with an LR Baggs Element. Once a pickup is involved, the physical size of the guitar itself becomes almost irrelevant.

vbf

Silver Supporting Member
My parlor acoustic with Schatten HFN Artist sounds bigger than my OM with a Fishman Prefix and my Grand Symphony with an LR Baggs Element. Once a pickup is involved, the physical size of the guitar itself becomes almost irrelevant.
That's really good to know......I was wondering that and answers my "will it sound puny" question. :aok

Frozen Rat

Platinum Supporting Member
The GS Mini sounds plenty loud to me. I think how it is plugged into the sound system matters more. Also, it is 24” scale so make sure you are comfy with that—it can feel crowded in the upper frets. My fingers start interfering with one another past the 10th fret.

vbf

Silver Supporting Member
The GS Mini sounds plenty loud to me. I think how it is plugged into the sound system matters more. Also, it is 24” scale so make sure you are comfy with that—it can feel crowded in the upper frets. My fingers start interfering with one another past the 10th fret.
Good to know, thank you. I'm going to be playing mostly open chords and some capo'ing, but not past the third fret.

lp_bruce

I've gigged with my Taylor Mini (RW) a fair bit and I think it sounds rock solid live. Lately I've kept mine in DADGAD and I recorded a song on my solo CD with it.

Reactions: vbf

Trending Topics