Can I use my Avatar 2x12 to output audio from my Apogee Duet?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by civicbud, Dec 20, 2009.

1. civicbud

civicbud Member

If this is something that obviously will not work, just consider me a noob when it comes to electronics! It seriously seems like it would work though. I don't want to ruin my Apogee Duet, my Avatar Contemporary cabinet/V-30s, or my MacBook Pro!

2. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

Is this just a speaker cab with no power amp? If so, then it will not work.

3. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Supporting Member

You will not ruin anything, but it won't work. Even if you had a power amp, it's not the ideal speaker set up for audio playback. The cab & speakers are specifically voiced to accentuate guitar frequencies. Some inexpensive studio monitors, headphones or computer speakers would be a better choice.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Let's start at the beginning here. The Apogee is an interface, that is, it's designed to get sound in and out of the computer. They throw in a couple of decent mic preamps and a headphone amplifier. So, you're wanting to listen to the tracks you've recorded? You can certainly start with headphones, but to really work with them you need studio monitors. Musicians Friend has a metric ton of different brands, but if you're just starting out probably any of the decent quality powered speakers will work. Then work with them (play CDs you know to find out what they sound like and mix stuff to play on your stereo to find out how they translate to the real world).

The guitar cab can't reproduce the high or low ends, it'll sound like crap. In fact, if you're just wanting to hear SOMETHING then use the line out of the Apogee to your stereo's tape in. It won't be perfect but it'll give you some idea what you're doing.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Well, the fact is that the Apogee Duet is a high quality stereo converter with no amp, as was noted above.

A guitar cabinet won't output sound with it at all without an amplifier, and its frequency response is maybe 100-5000KHz, with many nonlinearities. It would be hard to find a worse speaker to use as a studio monitor, and it's monophonic, not stereo.

So this isn't going to work. And even if you used it with an amp of some kind, you'd be wasting your time.

As Bob suggested, if you haven't got some decent hi fi speakers you can grab for the purpose, headphones might be your best bet. But since you can find some pretty fair powered monitors at very low prices these days...