1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Can I use these caps for tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JingleJungle, Oct 13, 2005.

1. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Hi y'all
    I have some old Sprague caps .033 - 400 dc (160P) lying around, unused.
    Are these any good for a guitar tone control?

Thx,

JJ

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

3. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Reason I was asking is that they look bulkier than the usual caps.
    I was thinking they were meant for amp circuit voltage (isn't that what the 400dc stands for?).

JJ

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

That stands for 400 volts DC and yes they are made for circuit that run higher voltages.This is also why they are physically larger.They are overkill in a guitar circuit but will work fine.

5. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

The short answer is -no- They are disc caps, not electrolytic.

There are static charges everywhere. Static charges can be in the thousands of volts but have extermely low current. Snap a wool blanket in a dry air enviornment and see the sparks (turn yor lights off),...thats static. I believe that the -pop- you are hearing is a small difference in potential or static. Nothing to worry about, especially since it clears.