Can my Princeton Reverb keep up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Smgbad, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

So in the past week I've given my rig yet another almost complete overhaul... I sold/traded my Yamaha (Soldano) T100 Head, Soldano Astroverb Combo, Fender American Deluxe Strat, POG2, and Skreddy Echo. Then I was planning on buying a new combo, a new head, a new guitar (or two), and a new delay with tap tempo (that I havent tried before).

Turns out that I traded the Astroverb for a flawless Princeton Reverb RI and then was blindsided by two strats I HAD to have... (a '79 Fender Strat and a drop dead gorgeous 100% handmade EJ Lynch Ser#001 Strat). I also just picked up an Eventide Timefactor tonight.

I now have about $500 left over and am wondering if a Princeton Reverb into my 4x12 cab (with pedals for distortion and dirt) will be loud enough to keep up with a drummer and a 75 Watt SS Line 6 playing just shy of metal. I know I will be finding out tomorrow night, but just was wondering how many of you think I honestly would still need a higher wattage head... Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Use a microphone! I use an e906 on my '66 Princeton Reverb (it's also got the Webber / light dope speaker). That set-up is killer, and all you need if you do it right.

3. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

This is such a noob question, but how does one mic thier 4x12? Or their Princeton for that matter... Also, as this will leave me with only Strats and a 67 Gretsch hollowbody (Rally), any suggestions on getting a thichker distortion without humbuckers and without high levels of background noise?

4. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

JIm Campilongo played a Princton Reverb next to Pete Townsend going through a Vibro -King with a extra 3x10 cab. Sounded cool

5. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

mic in front of amp though the PA or/and monitors

6. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Member

A Princeton Reverb through a mic'd 4x12 cab is a wonderful platform for pedals. As a side note, that rig will eat the Line 6 spider for breakfast ;) (and sound better doing it as well!)

7. yoyoyoseph

yoyoyoseph Member

For me I think you just have to think about what you're running against and the sound you're trying to make. I was playing my 60's Ampeg Reverberocket in tandem with very thick, compressed guitarist running a Rivera head into a 4x10 the other night. I was obviously out volumed without a mic, but the "space" we took up was very much different. Provided the guy you are playing with really listens to the sound you're putting out, and your sound guy does his job right, you can both find room on the stage. But, I feel your princeton+strat is going to do a very "vintage" style sound matched up against almost metal, which might leave you feeling underwhelmed in the area of firepower. When my tele would cut through it sounded very much the country twanger by comparison. I way preferred my tone, lot's more character and intricate, but knowing that guy could just drown me out was annoying. 2 cents.

8. JTJ

JTJ Supporting Member

Some of the best tones I have heard live have been from micd silverface princetons, I say you will be happy

9. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Yeah.. he only plays power chords and only with his 1x12 75 Watt Spider Jam maxed to 10. VERY annoying. He is the reason we have noise complaints. I have to crank my low wattage boutiques to the max (granted I JUST got the 4x12) and sometimes still cant hear a note I'm playing and even blow speakers all because of it... I keep debating whether to just "accidentaly" drop a beer on his amp and coneniently give him a Blues Jr or something low gain... This isnt a band. Just the weekly friends I've jammed with for years. I've put out several feelers over the years for a new set of dudes to ALSO practice with but to no avail. Im a gear NUT and the people who answer the ads always thing MIM Strats and their Line 6's are top of the line, or they have decent gear and FAR FAR surpass my playing skill so I am boring to them. :(

10. Lambone

Lambone Supporting Member

Having good monitors is important. I practice with my 65 PR and our drummer can burry it if he gets excited. Takes a good monitor mix to still be able to hear myself in the mix.

Also, curious what impedence load you are are pushing through your 4x12"? Are you also using the internal speaker?

11. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

I was planning on disconnecting the 8 Ohm Ragin Cajun thats in it and plugging in my 8 ohm 4x12 instead. That is safe isnt it?

12. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Member

Perfectly safe; that's the best way to do it!

13. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I giggged quite effectively with an alt. country band with a Princeton miked. Great little amp.

14. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

Why lug around a big old, heavy, 4x12 cab. Hide your little PR and mic it. Make the gearheads in the audience wonder where all that sound is coming from. You are probably way passed trying to impress someone with a huge speaker cab. I know I am. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

15. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

I now know my money would have been better placed to have bought a PA for us all to use (and a mic for a combo) in our little practice space, rather than a 4x12. I got it last month because I had a nice head, but such is no longer the case. We'll see tonight I suppose when we all get together.

16. pbmw

pbmw Member

I've played my 76 SFPR through my 412 a bunch of times. Sounds great. Keeps up fairly well but not much headroom. Our drummer dosen't kill the drums either...
    I like to mike it too. Saves the back but the 412 sounds good when I use it.

17. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

What tubes could I use for the most clean headroom if I needed to crank it up?

18. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

19. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Playing "almost metal" with a PR = fail in my book.

Playing another style could work depending on a lot of factors, but not almost metal (whatever that is!).

20. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

I think Alabama Shakes used an old Princeton on Conan.