Can my Speaker Handle my Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by funkywrench, Jul 8, 2008.

1. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

I just put a Hellatone 30/Celestion G12H30 into my Hughes & Kettner Studio 84 (same amp as the Tube 20) which is a 20 watt 1x12 combo with variable wattage.

Since the G12H30 is a 30 watt speaker, am I safe in running it in a 20 watt amp? I know you should double the wattage of the amp for the speaker but is 30 watts good enough?

2. jay42

jay42 Member

Do you use a lot of compression and distortion pedals at max volume? If so, you will blow the speaker. If it gets a chance to breathe, you're probably fine. fwiw, I've been pricing recone jobs. They're almost as much as buying a new Hellatone....2-12" maybe?

3. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

Nah, not running any pedals at this stage. I doubt that I would run it at full volume very often (if at all) but I would be using the dirty channel very often.

I'm not concerned for bedroom levels obviously but I'd hate to blow a speaker if I turned it up to drummer levels.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

It's like sex with a REALLY thin condom.

I live that way with my 50 watt plexi on 7 and single 65 watt Scumback speaker. But I use an Ultimate Attenuator and bring down the volume a lot.

5. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I think you are ok. Celestion is fairly conservative with speaker ratings. I mean how many people run AC15s through a blue. I know the blues seem to be fine with it. I think you will be fine. And if you did blow it the hellatones are so cheap just get another.

6. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, it sounds like I should be ok. Unfortunately I live in Oz so nothing is cheap! I did manage to snag the Hellatone off ebay for $30 but then paid $70 to get it here! Still much cheaper than the Celestions sell for here but not quite as cheap as you guys get them!