Can Overdrives MURDER Your BELOVED...T00BZZ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ♫♪♫, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

I ask thus,

The first preamp tube (Marshall branded ecc83's) in my DSL50 went microphonic and DIED...prematurely.
    I have only had the amp like 2 years, and I only play through it maybe twice a week for like an hour or less...only taken it to like 8 shows and didnt really crank it. However, I used to run my powerful overdrives through the front end of my amp...and I am thinking...

THE OVERDRIVE

...MURDERED MY T00BZ

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

**** happens man. Or you can blame the overdrive.

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Two years for a new production pre amp tube in a Marshall DSL amp, regardless of the overdrive or not, is a pretty decent length of time to NOT have any problems. I would most likely chalk it up to the fact that the tube had reached it's time, and run smiling to the tube store to get a new one.

:)

4. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

but I heard somewhere...probably here, that overdriving the preamp tubes causes them to fail sooner due to much greater stress

5. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Hmmmm. Scary.

It's a $10 preamp tube. Put a new one in. I don't think any of us are going to quit using pedals or turning up our amps because a preamp tube failed after 2 years. Driving my car wears out my tires too.

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

2 years is good life out of a new production preamp tube.

Sounds like everything is normal.

7. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

overdriving does stress the power tubes, but the master volume keeps that from happening, a totally overdriven amp with the master volume at 10 will produce twice the wattage, the amp is operated at 100 watts peak power, instead of the lower RMS wattage of 50 watts, and you probably don't reach 50 watts in the amp, it is very loud with out an attenuator. so your power tubes are running at 10 watts or so most of the time. The preamp tubes are stressed by being overdriven, but really would not let that bother me, the overdrive tones are so nice, and they are so easy to replace, that replacing one every couple years is no big deal, whether it was overdrive or not, a clean marshall is pretty boring IMO. the DSLs are great amps, would not complain about replacing preamp every few months for the great tone, when I was gigging regularly the amps need the tubes replaced every 6 months,

8. bobefann

bobefann Member

i was replacing the preamp tubes in my 2203 about once every one and a half years. my amp was old and i tried to drive them as much as i could. 2 years is pretty good for production tubes

9. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    If anyone tries to hurt my tubez....

....just dont do it.

10. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

I see then. Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure everything was normal. :D