Can pedal enclosures and knobs material influence the sound!? (Yes, according to Free The Tone!)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Silenceborn, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silenceborn

Silenceborn Member

First of all I must say that I like the Free The Tone stuff. I have been using their high end analog and digital units for years in both studio and live without any major problems, as they simply work and sound great. Having said, after watching the last episode of That Pedal Show, I was impressed by the sound that I was hearing from these pedals, and this is coming from someone who is not generally into distortion pedals as I much prefer the amp's overdriven sound for both low/high gain tones applications (usually using and relying on good distortion pedals only when for some reason I don't have access to my amps)

So naturally I went on and read about those units and although they sound good and seem to be built great just like their other products, but I saw something that sounded very intriguing and thought-provoking (for the lack of better terms). Here I copy the features of the list of features of the Free The Tone's "FIRE MIST FM-1V" overdrive pedal:

FEATURE
    • New HTS (Holistic Tonal Solution) Circuit: The Integrated Series device implements our renewed HTS (Holistic Tonal Solution) circuit. Unlike conventional buffer circuits, this newly designed circuit brings out individual sound characteristics of your guitar and amplifier to the utmost while providing impedance conversion and establishing both the ideal sound and low noise.
    • FREE THE TONE Custom Knobs: We developed a custom turned brass knob to reduce vibrations in the shaft and wiper of the semi-fixed resistor used for each control and suppress harmonic components that might adversely affect sound.
    • Casing Design*: All of the parameters of a case -dimensions and plate thickness of the case – affect overdrive sound. We employed the best size case for our Integrated Series to provide the ideal sound. Its weight has also been optimized to deliver the best sound.
    • FREE THE TONE’s Unique IC Tone Plate: This metal plate for damping and shielding covers the top of an IC chip to make the most of the characteristics of the IC and to prevent noise contamination to the utmost.
    • Passive Tone Circuit: We adopted a passive tone circuit that minimizes the phase shift in guitar signals.

*Because a pedal’s case provides a signal ground (0 V) and shielding, changing the material, size and thickness of the case can change the sound of the pedal. The capacitance between the case and any signal lines inside the case can also affect sound quality.
    Coming from scientific background I know for a fact that every single variable (including even weather conditions!) can influence the sound and that the world of analog and it's naturally chaotic and fuzzy variables can not be ever 'absolutely' measured nor emulated consistently (that's why each and every analog unit is theoretically and even practically speaking is different than the next one). And even in the world of digital the absolute resolution is simply meaningless as all the emulations are nothing but only mathematical approximations based on the rounded (finite) generated numbers of the binary digital systems.

However, such claims although may seem theoretically possible, but practically I'm not sure if such minuscule variables can influences the sound in an audible way. Anyhow, I found this interesting at the very least and thought to share this and see what other people think about it? I'm especially interested to hear from pedal/amp builders and see how/if they also care/deal with such 'seemingly influential' variables.

Link: http://www.freethetone.com/en/products/effects/fm1v.html

~Peace

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

3. Woowoo

Woowoo Member

Yeah, if you live in an EMF-free vacuum in space, all this makes sense.
    On planet Earth, this is probably a BS way to justify a $300 price tag for parts that cost no more than $20.

4. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

6. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

If you really want what's best for your guitar tone the next time you are gigging on stage take a little 3 foot square of carpet with you to stand on rather than the cold sterile wooden stage floor, the difference in tone is quite remarkable....I can do you one cheap if you like (real wool BTW)

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

:)

I ^ put that in so he knows it's a joke

moore_for_less likes this.
  8. Woowoo

Woowoo Member

I've found that wearing socks when stepping on the foot switch adds about 20db

9. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Woollen socks he means

[​IMG]

HERSCHEL, Pixies2005, Dr.Lee and 2 others like this.
  10. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

is where the tone is free, soooo....

11. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

12. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Do we really need another thread on this? There was just a 20 page thread on this topic a couple weeks ago.

13. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

They make great stuff, and apparently, smoke some great stuff too-haha

ucnick, drumsoc21, rohit and 16 others like this.
  14. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

Is that how to get woolly tones out of a fuzz pedal?

15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

16. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Buncha wooly bullies in here

73171, luafcm and Big in Japan like this.
  17. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao

Post of the day!

18. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

That would be unbelievable.

MadFrank and DewieCox like this.
  19. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

No.

And I refuse to buy Free the Tone because of this. The marketing is actually as bad as Vertex.

Monkeygym, ucnick, binge and 8 others like this.
  20. Yooper

Yooper Member

WHAT? Wait a minute.....Tone is in the KNOBS? Is that why we can turn them back and forth?

Thumpalumpacus, Rod, abnerfm and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.