Can pedals be damaged in a power surge?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanHorse, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

I have my pedals running off a regular power strip to a 1-Spot. last night we had a mother of storms, and during one crash ofthunder and lightening my PC got knocked out (power supply).

I thought everything was ok, but today, my JH-F1 fuzz sounds shite! i thought it was the battery, changed it for a new one and it sounded better, for about 2 hours, then back to ****** starved voltage sound - whats going on? could the storm have fried something?

2. terrapin

terrapin Member

In a nut shell..................Yes!!!

3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Time to invest in a Furman.

4. vanguard

vanguard Member

OHHHH yeah. NEVER use one-spots! those are the worst products ever. they are completely unregulated, so one power surge and you can kiss at least the first pedal in your chain goodbye. if you're lucky, you may have just fried the input cap of your fuzz.

lesson: throw away the one-spot and tell your friends to do the same. if you want to stay on the cheap, get a maxon or fulltone REGULATED 9-volt adapter.

5. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

oh man. Not sure whether to send it to Dunlop or not. Will they fix it for free i wonder?

6. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

The weird thing is it wasnt connected to the 1-Spot, had a battery. But im guessing that it can still happen?

7. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

If it is just 1 cap, it should be an easy fix. You just need to know the caps specs and switch it. That is, if you know how to solder. A music shop will probably charge more than it is worth as they charge by the hour - by the time the open it up, take out one cap, replace the other, close it and test it. I would contact DLop.

9. vanguard

vanguard Member

if it was running off of battery with NO adapter plugged in, i have no idea what happened. that's just bizarre.

10. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

ok guys...thanks... my favourite effing pedal!!! aghh. Right i will get a PP2 as soon as i can ;-(

11. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

I know! but it definitely is shot.

12. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Where is it in the signal chain? I wonder if something happened to a buffered pedal running before it? I know it is unlikely you are running a buffered pedal prior to the FF, but just throwing it out there - if you are though, try running it solo - guitar>FF>amp.

13. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

The only buffers are my two boss delays run after the fuzz mate. I will try running it on its own though

14. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, it was a shot in the dark... makes no sense since it was battery powered. Last ditch hope might be that the new battery was faulty - maybe the voltage was already low, maybe a brand new fresh one will do the trick.

15. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Sorry, forgot to say, the FF is first in the chain. Ok doke will try that too. Will have to wait till my neighbour goes out now, she is a total Boadicea....

16. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Just tried another battery, same result, definitely shot to hell. I have mailed Dunlop, but im guessing it wont be till next week for a reply now.. wish i knew something about electronics and had a test metre, i would have a go myself.