1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Can power tubes make Hiss?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by alanfc, Jun 6, 2005.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

hi, I have a question on Hiss,

My master boost never used to make hiss, on my 1993 Rivera R55-112. On channel 1 Brit channel. But now it does....
    Now once I use the master boost (must have, sounds great) there's alot of hiss.

I had new SED EL34's installed and biased about 2 months ago.
    I wonder if SED's have problems in general? Unfortunately these were not bought from a rigorous tube-tesing vendor.
    I've traded around preamp tubes, checked my guitars and cords. No change.

More -
    I tried different guitars, removing different pedals from the lineup, turning off all lights and computer monitor, traded changed new old preamp tubes in all positions. Also tried I through different speaker cabs.
    It always made some normal sounding hiss, but at practice this weekend I found myself having to turn off the boost between songs, never used to need to do that

thanks

2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

A big source of hiss is "shot noise" (basically the sound of electrons running into something.. like the guts of a resistor... or the plates of a tube). I suppose some power tubes could hiss more than others. Also possible that the fresh tubes, perhaps running at a new bias point, have exposed a stressed resistor.

3. alanfc

alanfc Member

fascinating,
    OK my tubes =are = new. I hope this is not my problem !

I think I need to test this alot more with all my pedals & everything, to eliminate them first ! And try batteries perhaps.
    thanks

4. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Hissing usually indicates a capacitor(s) is going bad....

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

gaaahhh I hope thats not it:( :eek: