Can somebody help me out with setting up the Kahler on this Fender HM “Strat”

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by danelectro, Feb 16, 2009.

1. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

I picked up a late 1980’s HM Strat recently and I need to know how to setup the Kahler tremolo. I don’t have any experience with these and I’m a little confused about the operation of it. I need to retring the guitar and I’d like to go ahead and partially disassemble it so that I can clean it up and get the Kahler working properly.

[​IMG]

Looking at the mechanics from the back, there is a sliding arm (B) and a pivoting arm (A). When the pivot arm is the up position, arm “B” can slide laterally. When in the down position arm “B” is locked. I assume that this mechanism is intended to allow you to lock the tremolo in a fixed position, however it doesn’t positively engage with the tremolo block (C). There is a “V” notch (D) in the sliding arm, but it doesn’t seem to engage with anything. There are a number of adjustment screws as well. As it is, if I use the tremolo, the tuning goes out of whack because the block partially engages with the sliding arm and keeps it from going back to its original position. Currently I have the springs cranked down and the tremolo blocked, but I’d like to be able to use the tremolo as it was intended. What am I missing here? All help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CMB

CMB Member

3. danelectro

Actually, from what I can gather, its a Kahler Spyder.

4. billywade

billywade Member

Sorry I can't help but I must comment that the pix you took are great and informative. Maybe someone will know. BTW I agree that it's not a Steeler. A Steeler looks pretty much like an exact ripoff of a Floyd.

5. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I've got an HM Strat... (H-S-S) When I get home later, I'll pull it out from under the bed and take a look at it.

6. CMB

CMB Member

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

8. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Well, I looked at my HM Strat (which I bought brand new in 1991 and is totally factory "stock") and it does NOT even have that latch... If you're having trouble with that "latch" - I'd just take it out... 'cause obviously Fender didn't put them in all of those HM Strat models... My Kahler is just a floating 2-point tailpiece - with no fancy stuff... :)

9. danelectro

Into the parts drawer it goes. Thanks!