Can somebody help me out with setting up the Kahler on this Fender HM “Strat”

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up a late 1980’s HM Strat recently and I need to know how to setup the Kahler tremolo. I don’t have any experience with these and I’m a little confused about the operation of it. I need to retring the guitar and I’d like to go ahead and partially disassemble it so that I can clean it up and get the Kahler working properly.

FenderHMStratocaster010.jpg

Looking at the mechanics from the back, there is a sliding arm (B) and a pivoting arm (A). When the pivot arm is the up position, arm “B” can slide laterally. When in the down position arm “B” is locked. I assume that this mechanism is intended to allow you to lock the tremolo in a fixed position, however it doesn’t positively engage with the tremolo block (C). There is a “V” notch (D) in the sliding arm, but it doesn’t seem to engage with anything. There are a number of adjustment screws as well. As it is, if I use the tremolo, the tuning goes out of whack because the block partially engages with the sliding arm and keeps it from going back to its original position. Currently I have the springs cranked down and the tremolo blocked, but I’d like to be able to use the tremolo as it was intended. What am I missing here? All help is appreciated.

FenderHMStratocaster002labeled.jpg

FenderHMStratocaster003.jpg

FenderHMStratocaster005.jpg

billywade

Sorry I can't help but I must comment that the pix you took are great and informative. Maybe someone will know. BTW I agree that it's not a Steeler. A Steeler looks pretty much like an exact ripoff of a Floyd.

jtm622

I've got an HM Strat... (H-S-S) When I get home later, I'll pull it out from under the bed and take a look at it.

jtm622

Well, I looked at my HM Strat (which I bought brand new in 1991 and is totally factory "stock") and it does NOT even have that latch... If you're having trouble with that "latch" - I'd just take it out... 'cause obviously Fender didn't put them in all of those HM Strat models... My Kahler is just a floating 2-point tailpiece - with no fancy stuff... :)

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I looked at my HM Strat (which I bought brand new in 1991 and is totally factory "stock") and it does NOT even have that latch... If you're having trouble with that "latch" - I'd just take it out... 'cause obviously Fender didn't put them in all of those HM Strat models... My Kahler is just a floating 2-point tailpiece - with no fancy stuff... :)

Into the parts drawer it goes. Thanks!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom