Can somebody school my on the Gibson Custom Shop guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I want an ES-335. I see some are made in Memphis and some in Nashville, or am I off? What is made where and what is the difference?

2. markophonic

markophonic Silver Supporting Member

I believe the custom shop 335 has a beefier neck.

3. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

My understanding is that all production semihollow Gibsons have the "Custom Shop" decal on the back of the neck, but are made in the regular shop in Memphis, with the exception of a few limited-edition models. Someone will chime in and explain which ones. I know the 339s are made in Memphis even though they say Custom Shop. I believe the 359s, 137s, and 335s are as well. Not sure about ones like the 330, the Alvin Lee model or the '63 Historic Block RIs.

4. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

IIRC there was a time when the "custom shop" semi hollows were made in Nashville and the regular production semi hollows were made in Memphis.

For the last two or three years (or more?) the Memphis factory has been part of the "Custom Shop" and almost all semi hollows are made there including the custom shop and Historic guitars.

:phones

5. pattste

pattste Member

Someone at Gibson told me that there is the Nashville Custom Shop and the Memphis Custom Shop. The Nashville shop builds the Historic ES models and the Memphis shop builds other ES models, including Signature models. Both are under Custom Shop management and have the same standards.