• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Can somebody tell me about the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer?

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
So you plug it either directly into your guitar, or rewire it and have it on your amp end, right into the input? What's the difference between putting it in the guitar vs. in the amp?

Is it a boost? Is it a compressor? Is it something that's always on? On the amp end is it like an attenuator?

Any difference between the vintage one and the newer one's produced now (besides price)?

What are the essential things to know about this device?

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a number of clones. Bob Mcbrooms mainly. I consider it one of two pedals that are essential for my sound, in conjunction with an Okko Diablo. I can't describe what it does - it affects the attack and adds a really cool percussive-something to the signal.
Is your clone set up the same way, or is it in pedal form?

midwayfair

Any difference between the vintage one and the newer one's produced now (besides price)?
The new ones are apparently absolutely horrendous.

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/armstronggrafton.shtml

My favorite clone of the OS is the Hartman. Cyrus at Ovnilab really likes the Tangerine Squeeze. Mine was stolen and I replaced it with the Hartman and didn't have any regrets, but they both sounded good.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, there are a ton of DIY clone projects, including Madbean and General Guitar Gadgets. It's a fun circuit to modify, too. Here's a long post of mine with several useful mods.

What's the difference between plugging a vintage one directly into your guitar vs. plugging directly into the amp?
Putting the device right on your guitar pretty much eliminates cable capacitance as an issue -- the output will be mostly buffered, and the input doesn't have any cable at all.

zenmindbeginner

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think there's anyone on this planet besides AnalogmanMike and Mike Beigel who know more about the Orange Squeezer.

Dan Armstrong is a really interesting guy and his contribution to the gear world was pretty deep. He helped design the SVT preamp circuit BTW.

If you look inside his sound modifiers, you see a very elegant and simple layout. The custom aluminum enclosures are just too cool and are pure genius. The parts are basically mounted vertically... the guts look like a cross section of a tiny apartment when you take the cover off.

Listen to Jay Graydon's solo for Steely Dan's Peg to hear the Orange Squeezer in action. The Orange Squeezer gives the track a certain presence, attack and sustain while imparting a slight sparkly sheen.

You need a manufacturer who is good at part tolerances to make an Orange Squeezer clone... throwing a handful of resistors, ICs and caps together isn't going to make one that sounds exactly like the originals.

That's why people go to Analogman Mike for their Orange Squeezer clones. He is a genius at matching part tolerances, owns original Orange Squeezers and has a great respect for Dan Armstrong.

Original Orange Squeezers in good shape go for $275-$350.

They are not the easiest to use since they are designed to be plugged into the guitar or amp jack... you have to disconnect the cables or the battery drains & they have to sort of sit on their side on your pedalboard.

Analogman's Juicer is the best ticket to getting the exact orange Squeezer tone... even Dan's son couldn't get proper Orange Squeezers made for a period.

I'm a total Dan Armstrong nerd and I hope I didn't bore anybody. lolz!

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
I'm most interested in using the Squeezer in the direct input to amp, and what that does that's different from plugging it directly into my guitar.

And can placement in a chain of a clone, like Analogman's Juicer, achieve the same differences?

meterman

I love mine, built in years ago from some info I found online. Adds compression, volume boost, and a bit of grit. Mine is customized somewhat with compression and output controls and I changed a resistor value to let more bass through, like a sidechain HPF on a studio compressor. Just reduces the squish somewhat on low notes, makes the effect more natural. I love what it does to clean tones and also goosing other effects like overdrives and envelope filters. I keep it early in my chain, after fuzz but before other dirt.

zenmindbeginner

Gold Supporting Member
I'm most interested in using the Squeezer in the direct input to amp, and what that does that's different from plugging it directly into my guitar.

And can placement in a chain of a clone, like Analogman's Juicer, achieve the same differences?
The sound modifiers were meant to be chained together side by side with the interlocking tabs... not sure if this was ever done in reality though. lolz!

Switching the jack from input to output requires a little soldering internally. The Juicer won't be nearly as problematic and be muuuch more flexible than the original Orange Squeezer.

As a side note... the Musitronics sound modifiers that we all think of as original were actually re-issues of the originals Dan made in the UK.

I love mine, built in years ago from some info I found online. Adds compression, volume boost, and a bit of grit. Mine is customized somewhat with compression and output controls and I changed a resistor value to let more bass through, like a sidechain HPF on a studio compressor. Just reduces the squish somewhat on low notes, makes the effect more natural. I love what it does to clean tones and also goosing other effects like overdrives and envelope filters. I keep it early in my chain, after fuzz but before other dirt.
Wow, that's really cool!

I actually have my Orange Squeezer plugged in after my BOSS CS-3 which has all controls dimed except for the sustain which is on zero (acts like an attack/treble booster). The Squeezer actually gives me my compression and sustain.

I need to get a Juicer so I can put my Orange Squeezer aside so I don't wear it out. lolz!

Top Bottom