Can Somebody Tell Me About This Pedalworx Pedal?

AndyBurns

Last weekend I was in a music thrift store and found this pedal, it is the most incredible SRV screamer style pedal I've ever heard. It had three white chicken heads but I changed the tone one for a little metal dial I had laying around so my toe didn't change the settings. Does anybody know what became of pedalworx? I tried finding them on the internet to no avail. I'm interested in what the switch does on the top, and also how the boost switch works, because it seems to almost cross into fuzz territory when the internal pot is dimed. I'm very interested in what became of this company and this pedal, any information would be greatly appreciated. BTW I've noticed a JRC9004 chip as well as two transistors marked CEN MPS A18

Last edited:

ES330

You have a hand-wired version of the Texas Two Step... I have one too
This pedal was voiced as a Twin/Super Reverb, designed & built by George Blekas.
The switch at top toggles between compressed, uncompressed and slightly compressed
The boost gave it a different eq... never use it on mine
I boost mine with a Tour Pro(Pedalworx version of Tube Screamer)

IMO, sounds real good into a 6L6 Fender voiced amp

If you ever want to sell... PM me

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
@Don Rusk would be maybe the best person to ask, as he was involved w/Pedalworx via Donnerbox.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/pedalworx

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/interviews/brands/donnerbox
Yes PedalworX was my first pedal company ~ 2000 ... and the TTS was the first pedal I designed...this is also when I invented the TourboX and sent the first round of PedalworX pedals around ... George was making a pedal called the SRV 808 - I listened to it and said it sounded good but more like ZZ Top, but with a tweek it could be more SRVish and he did and so I thought it would be cool if you could get both sounds in one pedal and named it the Texas Two Step for getting 2 Texas Tones ..... the toggle is clipping options - LED/none/Diodes ... the second stomp was originally an EQ change, but I think later George made it a kind of boost ... My dad was killed in 2004 and I lost interest in pedals for a while and gave PedalworX to George and Bob McBroom and they made lots of developments ... awhile later I started Donnerbox and some other things that eventually lead to BearFoot FX ... I dont know how much building George does now ( Bob Mc Broom was murdered a couple of years ago ) or if he hangs here at all but he is on Facebook... hope that helps ...

AndyBurns

hope that helps ...
That was very helpful, much thanks for that. The clipping options for the top switch is pretty cool, I suspected that was what was going on. An incredible pedal, and once again thanks for filling me in on all that. Much appreciated.

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
George posts here.
Gblekas I believe, he recently had a thread in the guitars forum titled "tone is in the hands"

GBlekas

Hey guys
First off a little background towards the TTS.
Early 1980s I was living in Austin Texas and got to jam with SRV, before he had an album out, and he changed me like everybody else. Years later I was playing in a band through an Evil Twin, which would never break up, but I wanted that broken up cranked Super Reverb/SRV sound so I started messing with circuits to get me there.
There were many tweaks and pedals sent around for testing and opinions of others. Don came up with the second stomp idea, from what I can remember, as well as the PedalworX name.
Bjorn Juhl came up with the toggle idea, which I initially hated but warmed up to after awhile. As it ends up only me and John Landgraph were making pedals with clipping diode toggles at the time, so that's kinda cool. Now everybody uses the toggle clipping so it's old hat at this point.

So, I didn't build a pedal to create a business as much as a sound that I wanted & needed. I ended up building for everybody and not even playing as much as I wanted to.
After Bob McBroom died the thrill was gone away for me so I went back to working on my gear and for local players and playing some.

The other reason I went recluse is because the original idea behind building was no longer necessary.
Beyond the needed sound i wanted out of a pedal the Original idea for many was to clone rare effects that were unaffordable for the average player. There were few building and maybe a dozen fuzz boxes out there. Today there are thousands of every conceivable pedal made and available so what is the point?
The only point I can see is tone and taking however much time it takes to get it. Most of what I am seeing out there now looks like mass produced products that may or may not be as analog sounding as I want.

I think it was Don that said "it won't stop until every guitar player has a pedal out there." Pretty funny but true!

So, I now work on amps and rare gear, like original Shin Ei Univibes. FWIW, I started tearing apart electronics around six years old so this isn't a recent development for me. :)

The best part of all of this was the people I have gotten to meet, work remotely with and hang out with along the way, so it all great!

Turbojunkie

Sorry for the lost love ones, Don and George.
I knew Bob had passed, but did not know how...awful.

All the Pedalworx stuff I've owned or had the chance to play has been very impressive...favorites have been the Texas Two Step, Hellbilly, SCOT-60 and the Sky. The Sky is one I'll own forever, picked it up used at a local store when I was in need of a gain pedal for my amp so I could play late at night when the amp by itself was too loud.

Great low gain OD, and it KILLS when used as a treble booster into Vox-ish EL84 amps...

Blues Wail

Hey guys
First off a little background towards the TTS.
Early 1980s I was living in Austin Texas and got to jam with SRV, before he had an album out, and he changed me like everybody else. Years later I was playing in a band through an Evil Twin, which would never break up, but I wanted that broken up cranked Super Reverb/SRV sound so I started messing with circuits to get me there.
There were many tweaks and pedals sent around for testing and opinions of others. Don came up with the second stomp idea, from what I can remember, as well as the PedalworX name.
Bjorn Juhl came up with the toggle idea, which I initially hated but warmed up to after awhile. As it ends up only me and John Landgraph were making pedals with clipping diode toggles at the time, so that's kinda cool. Now everybody uses the toggle clipping so it's old hat at this point.

So, I didn't build a pedal to create a business as much as a sound that I wanted & needed. I ended up building for everybody and not even playing as much as I wanted to.
After Bob McBroom died the thrill was gone away for me so I went back to working on my gear and for local players and playing some.

The other reason I went recluse is because the original idea behind building was no longer necessary.
Beyond the needed sound i wanted out of a pedal the Original idea for many was to clone rare effects that were unaffordable for the average player. There were few building and maybe a dozen fuzz boxes out there. Today there are thousands of every conceivable pedal made and available so what is the point?
The only point I can see is tone and taking however much time it takes to get it. Most of what I am seeing out there now looks like mass produced products that may or may not be as analog sounding as I want.

I think it was Don that said "it won't stop until every guitar player has a pedal out there." Pretty funny but true!

So, I now work on amps and rare gear, like original Shin Ei Univibes. FWIW, I started tearing apart electronics around six years old so this isn't a recent development for me. :)

The best part of all of this was the people I have gotten to meet, work remotely with and hang out with along the way, so it all great!

I still have the red one! I treasure it. Thank you my friend,
Aldo

natmiss

I have the Pedalworx Cactus Crunch. Great pedal. I've tried to sell it a few times in that I'm not much of a TS kinda guy. Zero bids on EBay. Even a lot of boutique pedal guys aren't familiar with them. Anyone here interested?

GBlekas

The Cactus Crunch is not a TS
It runs at 18 volts and has a Baxandall bass and treble control, which can boost or cut and not just cut like most pedals.
It also runs internally at 18 volts so it has a ton of clean headroom on tap.
I made this one for a low powered guitar amplifier.

Not the same as the TTS, but I still own 2 Tour Pro Toggles (one pretty early one that's something special) and they're not going anywhere! TPT1a.jpg

fieldsroyal

I had heard that news about Bob McBroom. Very sad.
I have a Bob McBroom custom shop HADES fuzz - two mcfuzzes in the one box - one standard (germ/si) one hot (si/si) - cascaded sounds like a tone bender on steroids.
I foolishly sold a donnerboxed hellbilly, it was crazy good too.

natmiss

The Cactus Crunch is not a TS
It runs at 18 volts and has a Baxandall bass and treble control, which can boost or cut and not just cut like most pedals.
It also runs internally at 18 volts so it has a ton of clean headroom on tap.
I made this one for a low powered guitar amplifier.
I stand corrected. I was not aware of how the EQ worked. Gonna have to crack it out again. Bought it used with no instructions. Always seemed very bright but was operating it like typical cut only EQ. Thanks! You still making FX pedals?

Trending Topics