Can someone compare the Eternity vs the COT Gold

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by porsch8, Feb 28, 2008.

1. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Im interested in both these pedals, but whats the difference?

2. Wildcat_Fan

Wildcat_Fan Member

I've been wondering the same thing.

:munch

3. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Ok folks..time to chime in

4. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Not remotely similar to my ears. CoT's are Marshally, relatively low gain. Eternity's are more Tube Screamerish, higher gain, smoother distortion.

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

If you listen to the clips on the lovepedal webpage you'll hear the differences.

Both have permanent residency on my board. My cot 50 is on almost all the time - I roll my volume downs for cleans....

I kick the eternity in for leads....

they sound fantastic together....

6. porsch8

porsch8 Member

This is a helpful comparison.
    Anybody else?

I have a Timmy, and looking for something to be different to this pedal, but in the low to mid-gain range.

7. jw112

jw112 Member

+1

the eternity will do light od too. it's too compressed for me and i didn't like the treble booster for eq. BUT everyone else here loves them. i just ordered an e6 so we'll see if its more up my alley.

i also had one of the newer cot golds. its nothing like my cot50 blue led. so i sold that too.

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Roughly accurate, the CoT compresses and the E is more open and way more versatile then the Gold. But they are awesome together with the E controlling the output of the CoT.
    [​IMG]

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

The COT sounds like an 808 to me.

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

:eek::eek::eek:?!

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Wow......

12. Shaman

Shaman Member

As others. . .hmmmm. Sure you didn't mean the Eternity? Between the two the E seems much more similar to the 808 in character and functionality. Although, both an 808 and the COT at lower drive/bias settings (where the 808 isn't compressing nor mid-humping so much) might exhibit a similar tendency to add just a little hair.

Am curious to hear your thoughts on the similarities. I often find alternative views bring me new ways to approach a pedal or instrument that really add to its pallette of possibilities.

13. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I have two Eternity's, a COT 50 little china and a COT 50 Gold.

To my ear the Eternity is the best sounding TS pedal I've heard (I prefer the Roadhouse over the Burst).

The COT 50 is like a clean boost/fattener with more clipping and grind than a true clean boost but without so much boost in volume.

The Gold is similar but the voicing is slightly different - a little more refined and maybe a tad less dynamic. With the three knobs you're likely to think Gain/Level/Tone but it's more like Whoa/Weird/Ohh..

For me the Gold sounds best into my modded Super Lead. The Eternity sounds best into my JMP.

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Perfect analysis ! By the way - I have both the regular cot 50 and the cot gold and an eternity.

I prefer the tone of the regular cot 50 by a SMALL margin. But I find the big boost in volume when the guitar volume is dimed can be troublesome for some gigs. Fo those type of gigs where volume really matters I'll use the COT Gold - and just use it as a crunch rythmn overdrive. Just on and off.... It's handy to have that master volume for sure....like you mentioned the tone control is " weird " I just twiddled it till I get the closest tone possible to the regular cot.

When I'm in the mood to really work my volume knob all night at a raucus bar gig I'll use the Regular COT 50. At these gigs the COT will be on all night.....I'll turn the vol knob down for wonderful cleans and turn up for all different shades of OD then I'll kick in the Eternity for sonic Nirvana !!!

All three are great pedals........and as I mentioned earlier in the thread the COT and eternity make the best COMBO yet as far as stacking two OD pedals....

If sean put them in one box with two footswitches it would be the true KING of TONE ( no knock on analogman - i've used his KOT and it kicks ass and is a wonderful sounding pedal, just not as versatile as the COT eternity combo IMHO ) !!

15. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

In my experience, it is the other way around, the E compresses and the CoT/Balance is more open. I prefer the CoT/Balance.

16. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

17. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Well there you are then, which E with what CoT?
    The 2 burst E's I've had are pretty open, non compressing, fairly smooth, Tubescreamer like ODs.
    The CoTs I've had are The Gold (posted) and a couple Lil' China's and Reds, like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Gold I have is essentially a Red with more tweak-ability:

[​IMG]

I don't know how it differs from the new Tour Pro Version, I kept trying them until I found the one I liked, but I miss my first Red, it was the best I heard.