Can someone explain "sag" to me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trey85stang, Jul 14, 2008.

1. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

I hear the term sag but I really dont understand sounds like, I do however know what it is.. just not how effects tone.

Can someone describe it? It is more of a feeling.. then a tone or is it more of a tone then a feel? :confused:

2. JimH

JimH Member

Slow response from an amp. lack of immediate attack. caused in various ways, but traditionally it's compression generated by old amps with valve rectifiers that don't react as quickly as modern transistor types... - notes tend to 'bloom' that is actually get louder after the initial pick - so a mild pleasant swell effect is created. Not great if you want a fast responding 'tight' sort of sound, good for bluesy soloing - particularly when playing on your own... I always think I'm gonna love amps that sound like that, but when I get in a band situation the clarity issue steers me away.

3. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

It also applies to effect pedals. Before all the wall warts and power supplies everyone ran effects on 9 volts. Some effects would have a sweet spot and sound better after the battery would start to lose power. Thus with a power supply like a PP2 you can simulate this on a couple of their power sockets.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!!

6. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

thanks for helping me out with my bulimia. :mad:

JimH thanks for the response, I think that explains it well. I havent had an amp with a tube rectifier in a long time so I really didnt know what it was.