Can someone explain the 'dark rosewood fingerboard' thing please?

I've owned god knows how many acoustic guitars with rosewood back/sides, and never once even considered that darker = better in that context.

Why do people prefer darker rosewood for fingerboards, especially on Strats?

Is it strictly aesthetic, or is there some sort of sonic justification for this bizarre obsession?
Thinking it is mostly aesthetic. Most of my rosewood fretboard guitars are pretty uniform but I have a tele with a very striped rosewood board that to my eye looks very pleasing as well. People like what they like but I wouldn't pass on an otherwise great guitar because of some variations in the wood.

I've owned god knows how many acoustic guitars with rosewood back/sides, and never once even considered that darker = better in that context.

Why do people prefer darker rosewood for fingerboards, especially on Strats?

Is it strictly aesthetic, or is there some sort of sonic justification for this bizarre obsession?

It's just aesthetics. I feel like for some people a lighter rosewood board looks less "healthy" cuz it looks dry, so maybe that's part of why so many people want their boards darker/more rich looking.

I'm partial to cocobolo myself...gorgeous stuff.

I think the color of the rosewood board is strictly an aesthetic preference, same is true of ebony fretboards.

IMHO, the flame/birdseye in Maple necks (flame/birds eye) is aesthetic as well. Torrefaction, of maple necks might impact tone/stability.

It wholly depends on the guitar for me, but I mostly prefer a streak and grain free looking rosewood on almost everything. There are a few exceptions in the “I’ll know it when I see it” category.

Been covered by everyone in here, but it's nothing but aesthetic. The vintage and custom shop ones tend to have darker boards, so once you realize that and see everyone talking about it on here, you start to think yours is subpar if it's not the darkest hue possible.

Edited to add: just like my preference is to call it a "fretboard" even if that's inaccurate, because fingerboard sounds creepy.

It's just aesthetics. I feel like for some people a lighter rosewood board looks less "healthy" cuz it looks dry, so maybe that's part of why so many people want their boards darker/more rich looking.

I'm partial to cocobolo myself...gorgeous stuff.

Yeah, while I know it’s not true, when I see a very light rosewood board my automatic thought is that it’s going to be dry. Just one of those silly idiosyncratic things.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom