Can someone find a MIC LP Jr DC in white?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rotlung, Jan 18, 2015.

1. rotlung

rotlung Member

http://www.ivormairants.co.uk/vintage-v130vw-double-cut-electric-guitar-vintage-white.html

This one looks okay and there are a couple good comments on the LP forums about the brand. I've been wanting a white LP Jr DC for a few years but can't spend too much dough. I've had a handful of Chinese made Agiles, Squier, etc that were decent instruments. I hope to find a brand that builds decent LP Jr DC clones. This copy doesn't seem to be available in the states an I'm not certain I want to deal with importing. What else is out there?

2. dubdub

dubdub Member

Its not the same company but Gibson's beginner series Maestro has an Lp Jr.
    [​IMG]

I ordered one this week, should be here by next weekend. I tested one out thoroughly at a guitar shop and it played great, the pickup was weak and is definitely gonna need to be upgraded. If the pots hold up with the new pickup then Ill be happy with it. Its a true barebones guitar for under $100, I have no idea how much it would be to ship one over seas though.

Here's a google link for prices
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mae...6a7VK7bFMfggwSj-YDoBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1.5

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

GFS SL59 Slick guitars are pretty close to a Jr. There are mixed reviews around for them and you have to like the distressed look. Plus, it's bolt on, not set neck.

Epiphone has had some cheaper Jrs from time to time but I don't think any of these were available in white. I've got one in black and it's very Jr-ish in spite of a bolt-on neck. They had a more expensive set neck model at one time, but, once again, not in white.

I also have an Agile Jr that has a set neck that I don't really like. The body is tonally dead. It's like strings attached to a cement block. But it's pretty to look at. It's been a while since Rondo has had these in stock. I think they might have had a white one at one point but that was some time ago.

4. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    Actually, the Vintage guitars are available in the states.
    I haven't played one so I can't give you a personal opinion; however, they have a pretty good reputation and supposedly Wilkinson was significantly involved with those guitars.

Too bad it appears the guitar that you want MUST be white and MUST be the DC jr shape because you might have other options (I've got 3 USA made Gibson LP JR Melody Makers that all cost less than the Vintage guitars. Well, two were used bu like new).

Anyway, if there's a return policy, I wouldn't have a problem taking a chance on the guitar that you found. You just might have come up with a real winner.

Good luck.

5. rotlung

rotlung Member

Where? I can't seem to drag any up with Google.

6. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

7. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I think Gibson did a short run of these in their 'Guitar of the Week' campaign.

If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the faded Jrs.

I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on one at a Chicago guitar show, spring '12.
    They're out there.

8. axe4me

axe4me Member

Those were nice looking guitars.
    I recall the finish being a white blonde over a mahogany body.
    The mahogany grain shows beautifully through the lightly applied white finish.
    It was actually more white than blonde.

9. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

Yup, I do have one of those, great guitar!

[​IMG]

10. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

The OP is asking about cheap alternatives to the real thing.

11. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Yup, that's the one!

I'm glad I picked up my Johnny Thunders hero worship Jr. but I think about that one quite a bit.
    Beautiful guitar!

12. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

On a limited budget, I'd go looking for an early 2000s model LP Special with the faded finish. It's not a Junior per se but flip to the bridge pickup and nobody can tell. Those are all over eBay for $5-600.

13. rotlung

rotlung Member

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I can usually deal with Chinese hardware and electronics are something I can upgrade over time. How are the stock tuners? That's one thing that's bugs me about some cheap guitars, slipping or imprecise tuners. Otherwise this looks great!

edit: also hows the neck? most chinese guitars seem to have thin necks which is what i expect, but would be nice if its a little thicker than im thinking.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  14. dellboy

dellboy Member

I have one of those Dillions for a while. It is actually surprisingly decent guitar, especially for the money. I actually paid more, since it was not on sale like now. Neck is a medium i would say. Not to thin, but not thick either. Tuners are quite good too. I bought it thinking i would change everything, but now almost 2 years later it's still all stock and i quite like it.

15. rotlung

rotlung Member

Thanks so much for the info. I have never gotten along with Gibson builds in the past, so I'm not looking to sink 500+ into hunting down a real LP Jr. I have always drooled over photos of white LP Jrs and DCs, and being mostly a tele player, love simple straightforward instruments. I'm doing a band now that having a P90 guitar would really sound great in, and wanted to find something cheap but perfectly playable to get my feet wet with the LP Jr. I'll probably grab the Dillion, if down the road it's opened the door for a Gibson, that's fine, but for now I'm looking for the po' boys alternative since I haven't held onto other Gibson builds before.

I'm still curious about Vintage, Agile, or any other Asian copies. The Wilkinson hand in the Vintage copy's design is appealing.

16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I've not played that particular model, but my local shop used to carry tons of Dillons. I thought they were a great value for the money.