Can someone help me with ABY BOXES?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davestrings11, May 9, 2016.

1. davestrings11

davestrings11 Member

I was looking at loopmaster' ABY box. Does anyone know if I can use one cab like the radial headbone? Or do I need to have two separate cabs?

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Two different placements. I don't believe the loopmaster carries load signal.

3. davestrings11

davestrings11 Member

Ok thanks for the help.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

More info needed, what are you looking to do?

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

If you want to run two amps and one cab, you can use the "headbone".

Metro also makes one that switches heads in to one cab. That is the one I would get if that is what I wanted to do.

Loopmaster is for running low/line level signals to two amps/amp rigs with their own speakers.

davestrings11 likes this.
  6. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com

Radial has everything you need to do it in front of amps, to switch cabs or switch heads. Just check out their full catalog.

Also, they have a new ABC switcher coming out in the coming months. :D

7. davestrings11

davestrings11 Member

I'll take a look at metro. I've got a metro jcm800 2203 and an evh 5150iii head. I want to run into one cab and switch between the 2. The other thing I'd like to do is run both heads and send them to a dummy load, and use the line 6 helix for cab simulation and run direct to front of house, or recording interface. That way I'd be able to run a wet dry wet rig without much hassle and extra gear!

8. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com

Again - radial HEADBONE does that exactly. Also, the fryette power station may be your best bet for the dummy load (I hear), but regardless you should get the headbpne. Radial is industry standard, VERY reliable, and you don't want a head switcher to fail on you or you could kill the transformers forever. Check it out...

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You've got a couple of issues with switching heads into a single cab, the most important is that the idle head needs to have the appropriate load to prevent it being damaged. If you have it set up using midi switching so that the idle head is basically not getting any signal then any kind of load from a short (0 ohms) to 32 ohms or so should be safe. If the signal from your guitar is going to both heads all the time, then the unused head needs to switch to the correct impedance load- i.e. an attenuator set to dummy load. The Radial takes care of all of this, I don't know of any other stand-alone product that does. OTOH, it'd be cheaper to wire the cab as stereo, making sure you've got the right speakers for each head-a pair of Celestion G12K-100s for the Marshall and whatever your choice is for the EVH (100w per speaker would be best).