1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone identify this? pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 12guitdown, Feb 19, 2009.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Well my buddy picked this up from a garage sale and I'm a little curious to what it really is or if it has any value. There are no markings, serial # etc. at all, not even on the inside. It looks as though someone at one time may have refinished it cuz the stain seems to have bled onto the MOP headstock a little and the side of the nut as well. Tuners are Grover replacements but there is an ivoroid type tunig button in the storage part of the case that may have been original. Note the first pic, there are a couple of Gibson string envelopes next to the case which have Kalamazoo, Mich. stamped on them so i imagine it's got to be from the 60's or earlier.

I'm clueless 'bout dem banjos so I hope someone can help out.

Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I think it's a banjo uke.

4. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

ya, don't banjo's have 4 strings halfway up the neck and then a fifth starting somewhere in the middle.

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

You and your dancing banana have been more than helpful.

Thank you so much!

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

4, 5 and 6 strings as far as I know.

7. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Looks like a tenor banjo, which is a must if you're planning on covering "Swahnee River" or "Ain't She Sweet".

8. guitarguy9597

guitarguy9597 Member

I agree.

I've also heard them called "frailing banjos" because they are usually trummed rather than finger picked.

9. snarkle

snarkle Member

Tenor banjo it is...the case, pearloid headstock overlay, and lack of a maker's name suggest it's a catalogue or department-store item from the 1920s or '30s...a student-grade instrument by the standards of the time, but probably pretty well made. It may well be all the tenor banjo you ever need!

Have you tried taking the resonator off? Unscrew that large screw in the middle of the back...you might find a brand name or serial number on the inside of the metal rim or on the dowel (assuming there is one) that connects the end of the neck to the tail end of the body. (Can you tell it's been a long time since I disassembled a banjo?)

10. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Tenor is correct. THIS is a banjo-uke.
    [​IMG]

11. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Looks to be c.1940's Regal/Slingerland/Weymann. As mentioned above, it's all the tenor you'll ever need. It should burn just fine. That and a bit of lighter fluid should burn just long enough to roast your mallows and get rid of the banjo. :D

Take the resonator off and see what it says on the wooden rod that's inside.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  12. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Yes I did take it off. No label or indication of nothing. There is a square shaped dowel going all the way through it though. There is however a pat. number on the inside brace which connects it to the aluminum body-probably means nothing.

13. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Its an old tenor banjo. Now you are ready to play in the mummers parade.

14. phantasm

phantasm Member

The neck looks like it's constructed like my old Vega- take the resonator off the back, makers usually wood burn or stamp their name on the inside of the rim or on the center post.