Can someone justify these prices?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RGB, Jan 3, 2006.

1. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

2. KLB

KLB Member

Not me, well at least not beyond the basic cable.

George L's works fine for me.

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Sorry, probably belongs in the other section. I guess I was so shocked that I freaked for a minute there!

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

Sure... these guys want to get rich.

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

But, Holy Cats! Those prices at the bottom of the page! How many of these can they possibly have sold? Even if money was no object, ya know?

6. haslar

haslar Member

compared to what hi-end audio cable makers charge, this is really cheap.
    Some hi-end cables fetch really outrageous prices...
    check this out:
    http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker1_05.html

$32,000.00 for a pair of 10-ft speaker cable...
    not bad, eh?
    :D

7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

....how good can they possibly sound?

I'd really like to hear an expert explanation regarding how these prices are justified. I mean, do they assemble these things in outer space or something?

8. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

That's not just sniffing the cork, that's gringing it up and running the cork through a full spectrum chromatograph, then running a B sample through full DNA testing to determine what tree the cork came from.

I don't get it...:confused:

9. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Obviously there is something to those $10,000+ cables or all the top recording studios in the world wouldn't use them. As for regular ole instrument cables there is really no reason to pay $130 for a 10 ft. cable. Sonically they are no different than some Canare GS-6.

10. haslar

haslar Member

Funny thing is, they don't !!
    Top recording studios use miles of cables, so it's understandable why these people don't buy $2000/ft audio cable - even if they are audio buffs.

No, these $32,000 / 10ft cables are bought by wealthy audiophiles, who listen to music that's very likely been recorded through miles of very decent $2/ft cable...

11. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I had no idea that these cables existed, much less were being used in high end studios. Again, how much better can they sound? I've read many interesting theories here on the forum, like the thread that discussed one brand of cable that color codes their ends so the signal always travels in the same direction through the cable, etc., but as an electrician in the Navy...many years ago...I was never taught that wire could be directional. I've always known that there are different levels of conductors, but had no idea that a cable could be so much better as to justify these kinds of prices! I mean the human ear can only hear so much.....some more than others, of course!.....I doubt that my beat up old ears could hear the difference!

12. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

The value of any thing is what someone else is willing to pay for it. This stuff goes beyond the world of auditory phenomena and into the realm of psychology. What makes a guy spend $5000 on a cable? There may be issues of status or insecurity. He might be obsessive-compulsive. He may simply have more money than he knows what to do with. Maybe he does it just to piss off guys like you and me. Who knows? It's like a solid gold toilet seat. If you've got the money to burn, and it makes you happy... knock yourself out.

13. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Now that makes sense to me! It's hard to believe that these companies aren't just taking advantage of people with too much money and too little knowledge!

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

Anybody wonder why the websites look so pitiful considering the prices of the merchandise? Sad.

15. woude

woude Member

32,000.00 for a cable? Noooooooooooooooo! Bizarre!

16. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

But then how would you connect the guitar to the amp? ;)

17. dosmun

dosmun Member

It oval. That sounds pretty cheap for an OVAL cable.

18. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Here's some more audiophile insanity for your viewing pleasure. http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm Personally I like the special knobs one company offers. After all if you use the wrong knobs you'll compromise your sound by the "micro vibrations" they introduce into your signal path. :rolleyes:

19. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

It's got that utilitarian vibe to it: Nothing more than you need. "Just the $32,000 cable, please -- no frills."

I stumbled on a very nicely done audiophile web site. Beautiful picture of the wooden knob being sold for $450 ea. Wooden knobs don't generate a counter-vibration that disturbs the flow of electrons through the amplifier and receiver chassis, I think they said.

Further proof that people are weird.

(The observation above that most music is recorded on $2/ft cable is priceless.)

20. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 Post of the week.