Can Someone Please Help Me Confirm Impedance of My Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matt F, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Matt F

Matt F Member

I recently acquired a Carr 2x12 cabinet from another forum member. I had asked him what how many ohms the cabinet was before purchasing and said it was 16ohms. When the cabinet arrived there was a small piece of masking tape labeled 4 ohm on the output jack. Would that mean there are two 8 ohm speakers in the cabinet (Red Fang & Can Rex)? I do not see anything marked on the speakers; is there a way to tell? The 2 output jacks are wired together.

Here is a photo:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am ignorant when it comes to this stuff and unless something is labeled I am a bit clueless.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. sled

sled Member

those are wired in parallel. so if 8 ohm speakers, that's 4 ohms

3. jeffsguitars

jeffsguitars Member

If these are 8 ohm speakers than the overall impedance with this wiring scheme (parallel) would be 4 ohms. If you were to rewire them in series you would have 16 ohms providing that these are 8 ohm speakers. However, if these are 16 ohm speakers, than your cab with this wiring scheme would be 8 ohms. Good Luck.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well I can help you with one. Underneath the rubber ring on the C-Rex is a sticker with the ohm rating and other info on it. The ring can be taken on and off easily. Bob

5. gregc

gregc Member

You could also touch a DVM to the output jack and just measure it. You'd be able to tell the DC resistance from that.

6. Matt F

Matt F Member

:jo

Thanks..

Note to self.............. Don't post before I had coffee and I am awake.

Thanks,
    MF

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

BTW- The resistance values will be lower than the impedance. An 8 ohm speaker will measure 6-7 ohms,a 16 ohm 14-15 ... And if you take a peak under the rubber ring on the CR you will find that sticker with it on it too. Bob