Can someone recomend a high gain non metal sounding pedal

sst

I am mainly into 70, 80, 90 american indiepunk i.e. Replacements, Husker Du, Superchunk and similar type band. I mainly play vox/fender black face type of amps (morgan mv23, have dual 20 on order, Allen Accomplice, Peavey Classic 30, Maz Jr Reverb) and although it is the least sexiest and cheapest of these amps I mainly play out with a Peavey Classic combo 30. My main pedals are OCD, Catalinbread DSL, and MI Audiocrunch box. I love all three and the audiocrunch box is the highest gain but can get a bit fizzy at the higher gain end. I would like a distortion pedal that has more gain on tap than the audiocrunch box but that doesn't solely lock me into metal territory. It would be okay if it could go into metal but would like it to be more versatile. Any suggestions?

cap217

I use the crnchbox for mid gain stuff. Like an 808++ but I have a wampler super plexi and that's probably the answer.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Tonebone Hot British for Marshall-y type tones. It has a ton of great tone shaping nobs. Dip switches for mid scoop, or hump, a mid contour, high shelf, and low shelf dips too. Very amp-like in feel response.

mcdes

Member of no importance
The model H is high gain, and I don't find it metalish at all, is nice warm and full, but still clear, not the metal piercing treble sound at all.

jdel77

Dude.
Rat.
Bob Mould used one constantly in HD. Get a WF Rat reissue or an early 90's big box or a smallbox with the Woodcutter sticker inside.
Set the gain at noon, volume at 2 or 3 o'clock, and tone where it works. A tubescreamer with the vol up and gain low before the Rat will give you high gain glory. Hell of a combination.

a.hartmann

The Fulltone GT-500 sounds like it might be worth a look. Lots of gain, it's not a Metal Zone, has a boost, and it's great quality.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like a Model H to me. High gain yet clear. It has a low mid grunt to it that is extreamly pleasing and is not found in any other pedal that I've played.

Jet Age Eric

We get compared to the Du and Superchunk all the time and I play BFDR-type amp. I use the Solid Gold Superdrive for gainier, meatier OD, but it sounds like you want more gain; if you like the Crunchbox but wish it was ... better (and had more gain), the Blackout Effectors Mantra is IT. You also can get a low-gain mod for $20 direct, $30 if you send it in aftermarket. Doesn't sound like you need it, but I'm just saying. I use the Mantra as a low gainer with the treble cranked; doesn't get fizzy, just sweet and smoothe. Really, it's your dream Crunchbox. -E

I am mainly into 70, 80, 90 american indiepunk i.e. Replacements, Husker Du, Superchunk and similar type band. I mainly play vox/fender black face type of amps (morgan mv23, have dual 20 on order, Allen Accomplice, Peavey Classic 30, Maz Jr Reverb) and although it is the least sexiest and cheapest of these amps I mainly play out with a Peavey Classic combo 30. My main pedals are OCD, Catalinbread DSL, and MI Audiocrunch box. I love all three and the audiocrunch box is the highest gain but can get a bit fizzy at the higher gain end. I would like a distortion pedal that has more gain on tap than the audiocrunch box but that doesn't solely lock me into metal territory. It would be okay if it could go into metal but would like it to be more versatile. Any suggestions?

DraggAmps

Yeah, a Tubescreamer set as a boost in front of anything will tighten it up and give it more attack, compression, and saturation. Although that DOES kind of make it more "metal" in some ways. I would highly recommend the new Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion. I bought it as a metal pedal to replace my Toneczar Openhaus and while it can do that very well, it is just such a great high gain riffing pedal with so much articulation and string to string separation that doesn't sound too metal, that I decided I'm going to keep it, even though I decided to get another OKKO Dominator as a better metal Openhaus replacement. The SGD is the highest gain pedal that I've used that still has a more articulate and relatively uncompressed overdrive type feel. It has quite a bit MORE gain than the Crunchbox and it is still less of a typical distortion feel pedal. It's based on the BJFE Cliffhanger II, which is the highest gain BJFE pedal, to my knowledge. It's the best suited BJF Design pedal for metal, but as Bjorn is a master of articulate and responsive overdrive designs, that is reflected in the Cliffhanger/Stone Grey Distortion. The BJFE Model H is also a good call, as well as the Rat, but they're both more in the Crunchbox gain range in my experience, so you would probably need to boost them.

Trending Topics