Can someone recommend a fat-neck Custom Shop SG?

opiate

Hey everyone,

I'd really like to get my hands on a nice SG, but as usual there is a problem :)
I LOVE nice, fat necks. These days I order my Fenders with a Nocaster neck profile, and usually go for 50's Historics when it comes to Gibsons. When it comes to new Gibsons i really prefer Custom Shop models, but unfortunately most SG's are reissues of early 60's models and they usually have necks that are far too thin for my likin.

So can anyone suggest a great SG with a nice, chunky neck? Perhaps a limited run from a few years ago, or something similar? I'd especially be interested in a 3-pup SG Custom with a fat neck. A guitar playing ex-gf of mine had a Historic SG Custom which I absolutely loved, except for the neck profile.

S if anyone can think of anything that would fit my requirements, I'd appreciate it.

ian

john1056

Hey everyone,

I'd really like to get my hands on a nice SG, but as usual there is a problem :)
I LOVE nice, fat necks. These days I order my Fenders with a Nocaster neck profile, and usually go for 50's Historics when it comes to Gibsons. When it comes to new Gibsons i really prefer Custom Shop models, but unfortunately most SG's are reissues of early 60's models and they usually have necks that are far too thin for my likin.

So can anyone suggest a great SG with a nice, chunky neck? Perhaps a limited run from a few years ago, or something similar? I'd especially be interested in a 3-pup SG Custom with a fat neck. A guitar playing ex-gf of mine had a Historic SG Custom which I absolutely loved, except for the neck profile.

S if anyone can think of anything that would fit my requirements, I'd appreciate it.

ian

I have one of these, and the neck is FAT! Its a great playing and sounding guitar too.

http://www.electric-guitar-review.c...the-week-37-the-67-sg-special-reissue-wp-90s/

randy alameda

You might try a double cut LP special, I have a 94 that feels just like a regular lester .... They were the original Gibsons to carry the SG designation, and the neck isn't as big as my ol' Explorer (58 profile) ......

Rapmaster

IIRC, Gibson switched to the slim-tapers in '60. Therefore, most SGs probably have the thin necks.

I think the Standard and SG-3 have the 50s profile, but those aren't custom shop.

eric102673

... and given the thinner body on the SG, many guitars of this style have a tendency to be headstock heavy. Having a thicker neck would only increase this tendency I would think. I've played a couple that were not, but I've played plenty that definitely were, so if that's a concern for you, I'd just keep it in mind.

-e.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
My 63 SG/LP Jr (converted to Fool SG), has a nice big neck on it, much bigger than either of my 61 SG/LP's. I think most Juniors came this way, or at least the 4 or 5 from the 60's I played all did. While it's not as big as the R7 baseball bat neck, it's not far from it, and it feels bigger than the 59 "C" shaped neck profile, too.

Perhaps that 67 Special reissue does, too...

opiate

Thanx, I'll try to track down one of these... In addition to the big neck they also have a certain 'rawness appeal' to me.
Lately I've been on a 'huge neck' kick. My new R9 335 has the fattest neck I've seen on a 335, and now I'm thinking about picking up an R4 Oxblood LP some time this year... and those necks are just out of control chunky.

Droptop

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the '62 reissue VOS model or the Guitar Center '62 model that Gibson's custom shop made in 2005. The neck is similar to a '58. That was a major selling feature for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom