Can someone school me on the Ampeg Gemini`s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WahmBoomAh, Jan 21, 2008.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Hi ... I`ve heard some talk about the Gemini IV being great for jazz . I look around and see various I`s, II`s III`s ... often with hard to find tubes.

So ... waddup? do the various gemini`s differ in wattage? power tube circuit? 12" vs. 15" ?

Any of them in the 50 watt range ? Pro reverb type cleans ?

I`ll keep the search button working but I know there`s some veterans on this out there . Any opinions would be appreciated .....thanks, Paul

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The Gem I was a 1x12, I think only came with 7591 tubes. Cathode bias, 20 - 22 watts, reverb and trem built in. Not an overwhelmingly loud amp, but a most toneful amp. The later Gems II through VI) were fixed bias 1x15. Not sure of all the details. One was a one channel. Once again, reverb and trem. Came mostly with 7591s, some stock with 6L6. Wattage was supposed to be 30 I think. Again, not a loud amp in stock form, at least the ones I've tried.

The cleans are the thing here. Not really Fender like. Can't describe the difference well, but I certainly hear it. Beautiful tone, with truly excellent reverb (maybe the best ever in a vintage combo amp) and tremelo. You won't get Pro Reverb volume. A new speaker definitely helps with the volume. I'm about to try a Weber Cali ceramic, maybe a Big Ben too. My Gem II is somewhat modified, has 6L6s, a larger PT than stock. It's not lacking in volume. They are such good sounding amps. Knew I would own one someday. It was just a matter of finding the right one.

3. WahmBoomAh

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

The Gemini I can be a hard rocking amp...easily on par with a black face Deluxe Reverb. Its problem is the wimpy and inefficient Jensen speaker. Change it to a Celestion G12-65, for instance and that amp will come alive.

5. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

As mentioned the Gemini I is cathode biased and has a beautiful smooth breakup. I played a BFDR for years until I stumbled on the Gemini I...the Gemini's OD tone was much better, and the clean tone was as good, but different. Ampegs have thicker mids, and their cabinets are much fuller sounding. The amp and speaker are seperated by an internal baffle, and the back is a tuned slotback design so it is a bigger sound with a fatter, tighter bottom end. Just for grins I connected my DR head to the Ampeg speaker and it was night and day. Also as mentioned a speaker upgrade is in order. My preference after trying a bunch of speakers is a Weber Ceramic Blue dog, 50 watts. You can jumper the channels for more gain, and you can add a cathode bypass cap, a simple mod, for even more gain if you want. I put the bypass cap on the second channel and can get close to Marshall territory when it's rolled up. Roll it back down and it's the stock tone. Pretty cool!

I had a Gemini II as well. It was louder and punchier with fixed bias and a bigger OT. Same cabinet design but bigger for a 15" speaker. I sold mine because it didn't have the smooth breakup like the Gemini I, but if you want more clean headroom the II has it. It may only be 30 watts, but the cabinet design makes it seem like more.

I use the Gemini I for jazz and blues. It's loud enough for an organ trio, and breaks up nicely for blues with no pedals. If you want more clean headroom the II would be better and I've heard that they take pedals well, but I don't use them so I can't say for sure.

The Gemini VI is a single channel version of the II.

If you do get one of the 15" models I have a vintage P15N that I bought to install in mine, but I never did since I didn't keep the amp. I can't imagine a better speaker for that amp and I would sell it if you wanted it.

6. WahmBoomAh

sounds great ..thanks

7. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Telewacker made a great post and mirrors my expierence.I bring one of my 3 1965 Gemini 1's to 98% of my gigs because they have slayed everything else in my stable.
    This stable includes just about every vintage combo in it's class.