Can someone suggest a You Tube Channel for learning Jazz?

Edwood

Gold Supporting Member
As the header states, I'm looking for a good you tube teacher for beginning Jazz.Mostly chords and not too much theory. Thank's to all!

Sam Sherry

Gold Supporting Member
Here comes a bunch of answers you don't really want . . .

a) The absolutely best way to learn to play jazz is to find a bunch of folks who will indulge you and play jazz with them. There is no substitute. It takes a while too.

b) There are tons of play-along options
-- The IReal app (which has chord charts and electronic accompaniment programmed by Massimo Biolcati and Ferenc Nemeth!)
-- The Ralph Patt website
-- YouTube of your choice
-- Aebersold etc.
-- But don't neglect to just buy some great albums and play along. Which way will teach you more about how to fit in with a swinging band: Playing along with Ralph Patt's computer or playing along with Miles' "Saturday Night At The Black Hawk"?

c) It is possible to become a fine jazz musician purely by ear but a lot of people conclude that learning theory helps prevent re-invention of the wheel.

d) It is possible to become a fine jazz musician while studying theory but a lot of people conclude that the less you're doing the better you'll do it, so standing, reading, listening, playing, and theorizing at once is not as good as just standing, listening and playing.

One final word of encouragement: Learning to improvise is totally worth the effort. The improviser's life is about treating the unexpected in general, and mistakes in particular, as opportunities to explore new, cool places in which to grow. That could be you if you let it!

Happy new year, Ed. Play on!

Lewguitar

Yes. Learn the songs and the chord changes.

To me, it's all about mastering the chord changes...that's most important. That movement and inner movement of the chords.

It's less about about mastering scales. You don't learn to talk by mastering the alphabet...that comes much later.

First learn the chords to the standards and learn, through experience, how those chords move and the sounds created when they move.

That will suggest melody lines and improvisation.

That's my opinion anyway.

So to learn jazz, learn the jazz songs you're attracted to. Music should be fun.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
As the header states, I'm looking for a good you tube teacher for beginning Jazz.Mostly chords and not too much theory. Thank's to all!

How much do you know to start with? That sort of dictates where to jump in.

gennation

Look up "Mimi Fox jazz lessons", she is very good at teaching in a youtube type format. And she's good at teaching it to all levels at once too. Very useful stuff.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
There are lots of good resources online no doubt. IMO that should just be a supplement though. Don't underestimate what you'll get from sitting down in person with a mentor and getting feedback in the moment and playing with someone who is much better than you. I'm assuming you have good local jazz musicians where you are, so it's incredibly beneficial also to seek them out and maybe get a few lessons here and there if you can afford it. Plus you're getting the chance to meet players and get yourself out there.

Edwood

Gold Supporting Member
Bluesful, I've been playing for around 50 Years. Can play Rock and Blued all day long,But now it's time to move it up.Best example of what I'm looking for is Alvin Lee and TYA, There 1st Album " Undead " I'll could never play at his speed, But the way he mixes it up is a thing of beauty to my Ears! Mimi Fox looks interesting,Thank's to all, Eddie

Trending Topics

Top Bottom