Can someone tell me about Divided by 13 amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by whoismarykelly, Aug 2, 2008.

1. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I've checked out the website and I'm interested in an FTR37 but I dont know much about how the amps work. Apparently they're meant to be used with both channels but I dont understand what the click channels are and the details like that. Any help?

2. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Pete Thorn did an excellent demo of the FTR37, running through all the channels, and different levels of gain.

I checked his mp3lizard page but it ain't there anymore, if you could get your hands on it, it would be great!

3. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

think pete is rather busy atm with chris cornell but he's deffinatly the guy to ask about this amp.

4. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

The first channel of the amp or the EQ channel as I call it has a normal array of treble, bass volume, REVERB... this channel offers all of your favorite vintage fender black face tones, but quite a bit more refined.

The click channel uses an EF86 front end and has a 5 position voicing switch.
    This is the channel that reminds me of a Tweed Fender meets a great vintage Marshall.
    Big Rock tones, and the Click channel does give up the goods really early so you can get some cranking tones without excessive volume.

I use the switch hazel to blend those two channels.
    Fred's switch hazel with the 37 is a great tool.
    You can choose channel 1, channel 2, or blend both. It has tuner out and a variable boost that can be engaged at will regardless of where the amps settings are, or what channel or channels are selected.

There is also a half power switch on the amp that interacts very well with the rear panel speaker outputs.

Example:
    Used with a D13 2-12 cab (the cab is wired with a jack for each speaker)
    You can choose to run the amp in the following configurations.

2 speakers full power
    2 speakers half power
    1 speaker full power
    1 speaker half power

This makes for an ultimately flexible rig.
    I have done shows with the 37 in half power mode through 1-12 and had comparable volume to a fender deluxe but with much more tonal punch, clarity, and tonal options.

Hope that helps..

Yes I am a dealer... (see discosure) but feel free to get in touch with any other questions.
    You will find that the 37 is one of the best sounding amps on the market and a real swiss Army knife for people who need several great tones in one box.

Also check this link for a review on the 33, short review on the 37 and some clips.
    http://ultimateguitargear.com/tone_party_reviews_divided.htm

5. wire 247

wire 247 Member

Leonc has a couple of video clips of one. I believe he is a mod now. I just bought a edt 13/29 and love it....

6. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I wonder if there is anywhere near DC/Maryland where I can try one. There isn't really a clear dealer list and I cant really drive to Texas to check one out :(

7. blazzrock

blazzrock Supporting Member

i know it's a lot of cash to drop for an amp you haven't played, but i would trust any info wichita has to offer. i bought my rsa 23 from him last october based on his recommendation alone, and it is all he said it would be and more. in fact the only problem i'm having is wanting more than one.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'd also be curious to hear more... I'm pretty close to grabbing that FTR37 in the emporium as I've been curious for some time. I've played my friends RSA 31 quite a few times and *really* enjoyed that. Great Vox flavour to it. If I grab it, I'll let you know about it, Dave. Just wondering, but how come the sudden desire for a /13? They don't seem like they'd be best suited for your style of music... Just wondering.

9. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Is the EF86 the same tube as the 5879?

10. vandi

vandi Supporting Member

An EF86 is not the same as the 5879 and for the record the click channel in all of Fred's amps use a 5879.

11. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

He uses 5879 since they are still widely available as NOS tubes and are inexpenive compared to NOS EF86's.
    Rene

12. Bergle

Bergle Member

I believe Action Music in Arlington is a D13 dealer. I don't know what they have in stock (haven't had a chance to swing by in some time) but you might want to call or stop by there.

13. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

My bad...

14. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I'd just type in "divided" in the search for the amp section. You'll find a slew of reviews and critiques on Fred's entire line of digustingly good amps