1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO USE THE SKB PS-45 Pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SmoothFall, Jul 1, 2006.

1. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

Hey guys, i'm brand new here, so bare with me if I don't catch on to everything just yet. I just bought a new pedalboard, the ps45 by skb. My problem is, I am having trouble running it through the effects loop on my rack-mount amplifier. I was wondering if anyone who has the same pedalboard and knows how to use it (haha), could possible help me out and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
    Smooth Fall

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I have a Furman board, exact same thing, used it for years with no problems.
    Did you get a manual with yours? IIRC, they are very in-depth, with some nice layouts for different applications.
    I've never used the loop feature, but I remember the manual showing it to be pretty easy.
    What amp are you using?

3. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

I am usind an ampeg svt head and an swr 8x10 cabinet. The manual shows layouts for different ways of hooking the thing up, but not through an effects loop. I don't know where to plug in the cables.

4. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

Actually, is it true that you absolutely halfto plug your guitar into the pedalboard? I think there is no other way. I fanybody has this thing and can shed some light I would appreciate it very much. Spread your knowledge..

Thanks, Smooth Fall:YinYang

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I am not sure what effects you are running, but I wouldn't go through the fx loop on your amp. I would just run your guitar/bass into the first pedal and out of your last pedal to your amp.
    You definitely do NOT have to plug it into the pedalboard at all. I also have the Furman, which is the same design. I only use the pedalboard to mount my pedals and supply the power to each. Just connect all your pedals and plug your guitar into the first pedal and then run a cord from the last pedal to your amp.
    You don't want to use the patchbay anyway. The jacks are plastic and they definitely suck tone. I noticed a significant drop in tone when I ran throught the patchbay. Think of it as skipping a whole other length of cable and connectors. It HAS to degrade the signal somewhat, even if they were top-of-the-line components (which they are not).
    They are great pedalboards, but just use it as a board and a power supply. You'll save some cable and some tone.
    After rereading your original post, I hope this helps a little.

6. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

thank you very much, that does help, and I appreciate it. But what I want to know more is, is there any way to run your guitar to your amp (completely independant from the pedalboard, and then run your pedalboard through the effects loop. If this is posssible, someone with the skb please tell me how to run it (which inputs and outputs on the pedalboard to use).

Thanks, smooth fall

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I'll find my manual later today..but off hand, you could always use the same in/outs on the patch bay with your FX Loop, as if you were just using a guitar and amp.
    SEND in Loop>>TO PEDALS on board>>FROM PEDALS>>RETURN in Loop..

try that..

you would plug your guitar into your amp like normal

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Or even do the simplest:
    guitar->amp
    effects loop out (on amp)->first pedal...
    last pedal->effects loop return

The pedalboard just supplies the power and the mounting surface...

9. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

thanks guys, finally, a place where you can actually get help! This website rocks baby!

thanks,
    Smooth fall

10. 59Billy

59Billy Member

Awesome unit:

Just migrated from cable and box clutter on the floor to used (but newish) SKB-PS-45 pedal board. research tells me that the SKB is the same as the Furman model SPB-8 with a soft side gig bag in lieu of the hardshell case that comes with the SKB.
    • The power supply and conditioner work great
    • So do the 9 VDC jacks
    • Its nice to having (1), 1/4 "In" (from Guitar - and (1) 1/4 "Out" (from the PS45) + a power cord.
    • The only pitfall is that it would be nice to have a removable AC power cord like the new SKB stage 5 units - nice but spendy...
    • The Furman manual for a SPB-8 unit has great info with set up graphics and can be downloaded from the Furman website at no cost
    • http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=SPB-8
    • Once you are at the Furman page - click on the multi media tab in the center of the page to find the PDF manual
    59Billy:rockin