Can someone walk me through updating the firmware on my Fender Mustang V v.1?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Burstbucker, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Hi guys,

I didn't plan on ending up with another digital amp but yesterday, I walked into my local music shop and there was a mint-condition Fender Mustang V head with 4-button footswitch going for $150.00, that's at least 60% less then buying new here in Canada. A pretty good savings IMHO.

For quite a while, I've been on the lookout for some sort of headphone amp for late night practice and thought I might get a POD or something but this Mustang V head does double duty by allowing me to play along with headphones and also be a real amp too!

There was also the matching 4x12 stereo cab for $150.00 and my first thought was to just buy the head and use it with a couple other speaker cabs here at my house but heck, for $150.00 and it's stereo, I couldn't pass it up. So I put a deposit on the cab so that they'd hold it for me and I bought the head out right.

I've been playing with the head with my other cabs and can definately see some real potential here. Not bad tones at all!

I just found out right after buying it that there was a v.1 and a v.2, it turns out that mine is the v.1

I'd like to update this amp with the new FUSE firmware so that I'll have the extra amp and stompbox models that are found on the v.2 and it also seems to fix a fizz glitch found in some v.1 models.

Can somebody walk me through the process? I didn't get the original Fender CD that would have come with this amp, the one with FUSE, Ableton and Amplitude, or whatever was on there. Maybe I can download these programs off the web for free?

If I'm correct, I need to have the most recent v.2 FUSE program installed on my laptop, then run a chord from my laptop to the Mustang using a USB cable. I think the cable needs to be a Mini USB A to a USB A?

Then while the amp is off, push down on the SAVE button on the Mustang and keep it down while turning on the amp and wait until it does it's downloading?

I don't have a clue if any or all of this is right or not. Please chime in if you don't mind helping a not so tech savvy mid-50s guitar noodler out. LOL

2. dazco

dazco Member

It won't give you V2's extra stompboxes and models. But if you want to update it it's very simple. Once you install fuse go to the main menu at the top left and under utilities you will find update firmware and it will guide you thru it. Just make sure that you have already downloaded the firmware to your computer and have the amp connected to the computer. Heres the page with firmware downloads at the botton of the page and instructions to upgrade firmware at the top. http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/updating-firmware-on-fender-mustang-i-v-amplifiers/

3. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Okay. Thanks for chiming in.

But if updating won't give me the new amp and stompbox models, what would I be gaining by updating? I'm at a loss here.

Maybe fixes to the existing models "fizz" problems. I'm not even sure that I've encountered that problem yet on my amp.

4. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

The v1 vs v2 thing is not a firmware difference. It's (as far as I know) entirely different (digital) hardware - there's no way to turn a v1 into a v2. As such, you may not have gotten as great a deal as you think (you may have - I don't know the going rates for all the mustang models) - check some recent sold prices for v1 heads on eBay to see if you paid a reasonable price.
    Having played both a v1 and a v2 mustang iii, I'm of the opinion that the fizz problem was exaggerated. However, I don't know that there was ever a firmware update for the v1 models that fully fixed it.

5. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

The little bit that I've been able to find on updating the v.1 firmware only involves tweaks to the expression pedal settings and moving the location of the onboard volume pedal function to be after the preamp or something along those lines.

If that's the only updates , I won't bother with it.

6. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

So you can't turn the v.1 into a v.2? Okay , thanks for that info.

I still don't mind the amp that I have. It's in MINT condition and I only payed $150.00 plus tax for it. A new v.2 of the Mustang V costs appx. $430.00 around here once you pay your taxes.

7. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

And if you're loving the amp, then you got a great deal. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the difference in resale value between the two versions.

8. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

As long as I don't run into the "obnoxious fizz" problem that some have complained about, I will be happy.

And later on , I'll likely find a v.2 used on Kijiji for a steal. Then I could get that and replace my v.1 and sell the v.1 for whatever I can get for it. Or just keep it as they are SO cheap especially used.

9. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

It is great that these can be used for a headphone amp too. So practical!

What about people using the FX out to send to the PA board? Are these FX out jacks just regular mono guitar cables or are they TRS types?