can speaker wire connecting an internal speaker be modified to plug into an ext cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vbf, Feb 10, 2012.

1. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Hi guys, I have an amp that has no built in external speaker outputs yet want to hear what it would sound like with an extension cab. Provided it's relatively simple, how would I go about modifying the internal speaker connector wire with a male jack? Thank you.

2. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Simple, just snip the wire and solder a 1/4" mono plug to the end of it. I'd be surprised if the cable is long enough to reach a cab, however.

3. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Thanks, Frank. But I can add a little additional length to the existing wire with no ill effects I'm thinking?

4. Amplite

Amplite Member

How does the internal speaker connect to the amp now? Is there an internal speaker jack or is it hard wired into the amp? If it's hard wired and you want to use an external speaker with this combo amp you will need to install an internal speaker output jack. After that you will also need to put a 1/4" male mono jack onto the internal speaker lead.

To modify only the existing speaker wire you will need to cut it and install a male mono jack going to the speaker and a female mono jack going to the amp. This would be funky and I've never seen this before in over 30 years of amp tinkering!
    Good luck!

5. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Great questions. The amp I'm looking to try this with is a Fender Mustang iii. The internal speaker is hardwired to the amp then connected to the speaker with typical female connectors that slip over the blades on the speaker. My objective is to bypass the internal speaker all together and just use an extension cab.

6. Amplite

Amplite Member

Being that the Mustang is a solid state amp make sure the external cab is 8 Ohms!

7. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

I would also like to find a solution for this in my vintage fender. Like an a/b/y box built into the back of the cab.

A. Original on-board speaker
    B. Line out only for cab (Preferably with selectable Ohms)
    Y. A+B

Anything like this? Easy risk-free mod?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

Here's a suggestion.
    Remove the cable from the speaker. Replace the spade connectors with a male connector. Take another length of cable, solder a female connector on one end and spade connectors on the another end. Now you can easily connect the amp to either the internal speaker or external cab. Franks right, you're going to need more cable to get to the cab. Maybe make an extension cable, or buy one.

9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

If you feel you are up to it, they make a jack that mutes the internal speaker when an external cab is plugged in. I forget the name, but it's pretty common. You'd have to drill the hole in the back of the amp somewhere, then solder the jack inline of the cable that runs to the internal speaker. Sounds more complicated than it is.

10. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

This. But I'd use a male if you have a speaker already in a cab with a 1/4" jack. Another option is to use male spades to go to the existing wire and females on the other end to go straight to another speaker.
    Solderless connectors are your friend. Also don't worry about making sure + goes to + and - goes to - if you're going to a single speaker. The amp nor the speaker won't care in that case.

11. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

I think the external cab can just be connected using a 1/4" plug right?

In that case, I would:

1) cut off the current female disconnects and replace with identical but insulated female disconnects, this way they don't short
    2) make a cable with one end male spades and the other end a 1/4" plug

12. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

Yes, 1/4" to the cab.
    I would replace the female spades with 1/4".
    1/4" plug is easier to use than two spades

13. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I may be wrong but he may want to put the speaker wires back on the stock speaker of on and upgraded speaker after he's replaced the stocker. I always put a 1/4" jack in amps that don't have one but that's just me.
    The insulated female spades and insulated males for a wire that can easily be put on and taken off is a winner.

14. kimock

kimock Member

I've done this on a bunch of little combos.
    Just cut the existing speaker wire where ever it seems most convenient and screw banana plugs onto the loose ends.
    Reconnect. There's your combo.

Cut one end off an existing appropriate length speaker cable, screw on a banana plug.

You can probably figure it out from there.
    One trip to Radio Shack, five bucks, no solder, ten minutes max on the job. . .

15. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great help guys!!!

16. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

The assumption is that his current speaker on the combo uses disconnects like this -
    [​IMG]

and not banana connectors. So, that's why we're talking about disconnects and spade connectors, but yes, otherwise your method is identical to what I mentioned.

17. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

:agree a 1/4" jack would be best
    my thought was being able to switch using 1/4" plug, kind of a work around the jack install.

And what's with all the speaker cable threads lately?

18. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

I asked a local shop about this recently, they quoted me at $125! The way I was thinking of doing it was to just add a jack plate and wire it to the speakers and have a one way switch in line with the stock wiring so that I wouldn't have to convert the current amp wiring to a 1/4 mono jack. Not sure how well it would work though.