Can the 18w Badger do a smooth lead tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mike@switchback, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Somewhat gainy, round and sustaining yet still clear? My benchmarks for this kind of tone are Budda and Naylor. Can the Badger do it?

2. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker Member

Hoffmann 15 does a great chimey overdriven sound. Have had several 18 watt type amps but kept this one. A keeper.

3. unvs

unvs Member

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Having owned 2 Naylors, and a current Budda SD-18, [and a Badger]...I'd say not really.....The Badger seems to work best for me set up for a sort of Crunchy, or clean Rhythum tone...then, I use an Eternity, and a few Jetter pedals for all my lead tones...It's one of the best amps on the planet for pedals

5. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Thanks Rod. That's what all the clips had led me to believe, so thank you for confirming.

6. Rod

You're welcome!!

7. msgdsrf

msgdsrf Member

I'd second Rod's opinion. Add a pedal (BJF Honey Bee!) for a singing tone.

8. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I "third" this opinion. ;)

Set mine up for clean, but just below preamp and power amp clipping. Beautiful cleans. Then, I use a couple Jetter GSRs for lead tones (one set for low gain and one for high gain) and a V2.0 OCD for crunch rhythm. That gets me smooth singing lead tones with the added complexity of the preamp and power amp clipping with a great Marshall style crunch for dirty rhythm chores. I mic the cab and run that through some light 'verb into a powered monitor for a wet/dry setup. NICE!

I also own a Quinn SDO, Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr NR, Engl SE 6L6 and Allen Accomplice and, gotta' say, at volumes below medium to high gig levels, the Badger absolutely rules. Above that, the Quinn, Badger and Maz 18 are my faves.

9. Rod

Hi DaveC...What speaker do you like with the Badger ??

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Gotta agree as well...what a sweet sounding amp. Have not had it at drummer-combative levels, but one of the best home office/bedroom level amps I've had. The master & SP are great for tweaking just the warmth, grit and level you want...so nice for blending pedal tones.

Greg

11. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I have Celestion Heritage G12-65s in a Port City Wave 2x12 and think they sound fabulous with the Badger. But, I tend to dig those speakers will ALL my amps.