Can the angle from nut to tuners be too much?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Curt, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Curt

Curt Member

Can the angle from nut to tuners be too much? I replaced some tuners on an archtop with ones that are shorter than the stock tuners. Now, I seem to be getting some light string buzz on one string at the 3'd and 4th frets. And, I also put 10’s on in place of the stock 9’s at the same time.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Yes, the nut slot probably needs to be cut to the new angle if it has increased dramatically. See some of the other recent threads on this topic.

That said, if you are fretting the notes at the 3rd and 4th frets and getting a buzz, the nut is not the problem. Look elsewhere, like the saddle or a high fret. Since you went to 10's you'll have more relief than you had before so normally you would tighten the truss rod as well. In this case, that will probably aggravate the buzz so try and find the source before making too many changes at once.

3. Curt

Curt Member

It's only when fretting the A and D strings at the third and fourth frets.
    Oh, the tuners are "Magnum" Gotah's. Maybe I didn't install the strings correctely?

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

No, the nut and tuners are out of the picture at that point. It's something between the fretted note and the saddle. It's unusual that you would not have noticed it with your 9's. I'd look carefully at the saddle. Try putting a thin piece of paper under the string at the saddle and see if the buzz changes. You may need to open up the slot in the saddle for the larger strings. It could also be a high fret, but you would have heard that with the thinner strings as well.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member